This Disappears When Logged In

Keeping Multiple Bull Snakes

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by Hybrid, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

Could I keep a pair of adult bull snakes in the same enclosure. My thinking is that in the wild, bull snakes will hide in a burrow with multiple snake species and because they are used to being around other snakes and are not cannibalistic, I might be able to keep a pair together. They would be fed in a separate container so they dont latch on to the same mouse.
    Opinions, suggestions?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't.
    Snakes do not get "used" to being in the company of other snakes.
    I have never found bullsnakes in the wild in the company of other snakes.
    They are also known to eat lizards and I have personally seen them dining on frogs so it would not be too much of a stretch for them to consume another snake. There are also anecdotal reports of them eating rattlesnakes.

3. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

They dont really hang out with other snakes but Bull snakes are commonly found brumating in the same burrow as other bull snakes, rattle snakes, etc. Im pretty sure bull snakes eating rattlesnakes is a myth. I'm just asking if it was possible to do this safely because it would save a lot of space. The enclosure I am thinking of doing is a 55 gallon turned on its side for more surface area. If not I could give each there own enclosure. If I were to do an enclosure with a pair if bullsnakes, How much floor area should it have?

4. Merlin

Could be. As I said the reports are anecdotal. Whether bulls eating rattlers is a myth or not, the fact that they WILL feed on reptile and amphibian prey points to the possibilty of them also eating another snake. Particularly so when they are boxed up together in close quaretrs.
    I have personally witnessed them in the wild feeding on frogs. And this was an adult, not a hatchling.

Theres also a big difference in behavior in brumating snakes and snakes which are fired up and behaving normally.
    Snakes which are brumating, or are preparing to brumate, do not feed. It would kill them. They would be unable to digest and the carcass in their belly would rot. The cooler temps leading up to brumation also slow them down.
    And my answer is still to advise against it.
    A 55 gallon tank is the bare minimum for keeping a single snake. Bulls are going to be a fairly large snake and they are very active. I have seen them in the wild pushing 7 ft and there are reports of them reaching 8 ft+.
    And they can run FAST!
    Bulls are very interesting snakes, albeit a bit noisy and intimidating at times. I have kept a couple of them and currently have an albino youngster.

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm going to put this in it's own thread, just because I was so surprised: but the guy who bought one of our baby GTPs made some horrible discoveries about keeping Brazilian Rainbow Boas together: two cases of cannibalism! Juveniles and adults!! (BOAS??!!)
    In this case, I wouldn't risk housing your bull snakes together.

6. Hybrid

Hybrid Well-Known Member

I will give them there own enclsures

7. Merlin

Good to hear! Better safe than sorry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.