This Disappears When Logged In

Keeping Corns Together?

Discussion in 'General' started by smallgrayfox, Jan 28, 2005.

?

Do you or do you plan to keep corn snakes together?

1. Yes, I do.

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. No, I'm absolutely opposed!

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I've never even thought about it.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. No I just don't do it

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

How many of you with corn snakes keep more than one in the same enclosure? I'd love to hear about your experiences with it, or else why you are opposed to it.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

We keep Tolkien and Ringo together and have never had a problem

3. smallgrayfox

I forgot to say that we keep Sally and Jack together, and they really seem to enjoy each other's company. We're always finding them twined together in a beautiful knot and looking so cozy and snuggly. Of course, when they're bigger, I guess we'll have to separate them since they are of different sexes. Someone told me that Jack would drive Sally nuts once they're old enough to know the difference between male and female.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I keep mine seperated. I am not necessarily opposed to it, I just don't do it. I like the fact that keeping them seperately I know who has or has not pooped. If there is a regurg I know who did it.
    There are a lot of people that keep them together without problem. However rare there have been cases of cannabalism in corns.
    I choose to err on the side of caution.

By the way I cheated and added the "No, I just don't do it answer". :D

5. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I keep corns together without any problems, as long as they are of similar size they should be ok...

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i voted for yes even though i don't keep Blizzard and Bullet together. the main reason is because Bullet is so much smaller than Blizzard at this time. i've thought about it alot though. once the two are around the same size i may try it out to see what happens. i've always heard it was okay to keep 2 together. i have them out together sometimes and while Bullet likes to climb all over Blizzard and act like a little kid Blizzard looks like he's not sure about it. so i'm going to wait until they get bigger. :)

7. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

I don't have any corns but if I did I would definately keep them together. :D

8. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

LOL, Boa, you said that with such confidence.. :p

I was worried at first and kept a vigil for ages, I have Casper and Mayhem together and Mootie and Pebbles together, Mayhem was originally housed with Schnoozer, but Schnoozer grew so much in size I had to seperate them, and Mayhem is the older one, Now Casper is in with Mayhem, Mayhem still being the older, and it looks like they will have to be seperated soon as casper is out growing Mayhem, poor little Mayhem just isnt growing, even though he eats well, I still get slightly worried but when I check on them they are always cuddled up together, they will all be seperated before they reach sexual maturity, I dont keep none of the bigger or adult corns together, heres a few pics one of Scnoozer and Mayhem and how much Schnoozer has grown, and Casper and Mayhem, Casper is getting to be the bigger one. To think Schnoozer and Mayhem started off the same size. :eek:

Scnoozer & Mayhem
    [​IMG]

Casper & Mayhem
    [​IMG]

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, hard to believe that Schnoozer and Mayhem started out the same size!! Is he eating the same amount, or has he gone on fasts? Or did he have worms or something that kept his weight down?
    I love the pics.
    My sister, Baxter, kept her corns together (thinking they were both males) but they ended up mating and laying eggs. She successfully incubated and hatched a few of them.

10. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

No, I just don't do it...

11. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

He missed just a couple of feeds when I first got him, now he is taking fuzzies, hopefully he will grow now :rolleyes: didnt have any internal mites, worms or anything, he likes them really warm, I figured he wont eat them at room temperature, now he eats like a champ :p

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Glad Mayhem is doing better Donna! :)

We keep our corns together, with no problems. We used to keep our 5 adults together when they were babies but have since separated the males from the females. Now we house the 3 females together, and the 2 males together, although this will change when we breed them in a few weeks - the males will be separated, as will the females once they are gravid, so that they can lay eggs in peace, with reduced stress.

We also keep our male and female yearlings together, although again they will be separated soon, as they are getting to sexual maturity and we don't want our female getting pregnant too early.

The only problem we have ever had was the adult males once "wrestled" as they do in the wild, when they are fighting for females. No harm was done, but there have been reports of snakes being cannabilistic, so this is always in the back of our minds, though ours are well fed, and have never had any problems in this area.

13. Brent Strande

Brent Strande Elite Member

No, I'm opposed to it.

Corns are not communal animals. There are also reported cases of cannibalism. Plus, if one get's sick, most likely the other will too.

Corn enclosures are easy and inexpensive. I'd feel horrible if I cheated and wound up with one, or both corns dead. (Especially since I'd heard before that it's not a good thing to do)

Another concern of mine is stress. When we keep these animals in our captive care, we owe them the best possible lives that we can give them. From what I understand, snakes being solitary animals deserve to have their own space. In the wild they can go long distances and keep to themselves, so doesn't it seem cruel to not even allow them 6sq ft of their own space? Remember, they're NOT humans and in that sense, don't try and make them adapt to the communal lifestyle of humans.

If you do keep them together, I hope that nothing bad happens. It sure would stink if the snakes didn't get what they wanted, just because you got what you wanted.

14. smallgrayfox

Since we separated Jack and Sally a few weeks ago, both of them have become so much more relaxed! I think you're right about the stress, at least in the case of my two little ones. They both used to hide ALL the time, and I had to go digging for them, but now I often see them out in the open, which is really really nice :)

15. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Elite Member

If I ever remotely considered it, witnessing my friends hatchling cannibalize its sibling a couple days after they pipped cured me of it.

16. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I keep my two 6 month old together at the moment,until I know what sex they are,and until I build the new terrariums.
    But to be on the save side in case they are boy and girl,or to reduce stress,which I read about a lot,I think I will later keep them seperate.

Actually,I read about the BPs that they can be very stressed if they are housed together,I haven't actually read it a lot about the corns,but I guess it counts for every snake.

Even if they are kept together for a while,I don't think that they will miss each other even though they love to snuggle together.We humans like to think that they have feelings like we do!

17. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

All mine are seperated now too, and I see a big difference in them making an appearance, maybe they are looking for their mates lol, wondering where they went...

I feel more at ease now though :D

18. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I dont keep or plan to keep corn snakes, but I have kept other similar species together. I would just make sure they are similar sized and the enclosure is large enough that they can get away from each other if necessary. Once I kept a common kingsnake with a glass lizard of approximately the same size.

Until the snake attacked it and the tail fell off, making it much easier to swallow. Then he swallowed the tail too.

But thats what I like about kingsnakes. They eat anything.

19. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Elite Member

Yes, it should be noted that both hatchling corns were about the same size.
    This did not give the little guy any problems, when it came to swallowing his sibling.

20. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

I had mine seperate but now the three are together as I am trying to sell them. They get along fine, just don't feed to gether it's a mess of a fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.