This Disappears When Logged In

Katniss... Chihuahua Mountain King

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by SonnysDragonS, Mar 26, 2012.

1. SonnysDragonS

SonnysDragonS Elite Member

This will be updated regularly to keep everyone posted on my beautiful baby Katniss!

Hope you enjoy!

3820c7ae.jpg
    5af82f74.jpg
    0b73a0dc.jpg

This is a side shot
    1a61be47.jpg

A pic of the belly
    71f181e0.jpg

Some eating shots!
    d42cef50.jpg
    3b0d10e9.jpg

Attached Files:

2. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

Nice color pattern & a healthy apetite! Sweet!:D

3. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

awwwww so cute :)

4. SonnysDragonS

If she is willing to put down more then one pinkie a feeding how many can I give her? 2 or 3 at one time? She's really not big enough to move up in feeder size yet.. I have about 50 pinkies left and I already have some hoppers... Trying not to waste the pinkies though if I don't have to...

5. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

how long is she??

6. SonnysDragonS

Not sure yet? I think 15"... I'm still waiting for her to shed to get a better measurement...

7. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

id say 2 is a good amount 3 might be to much if shes a vigorous eater then she might take a 3rd if shes still hungry my ball takes 2 hoppers an refuses a 3rd

8. SonnysDragonS

If she takes a 3 it's ok though?

9. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

if it doesnt happen to often id have to say so but just to be on the safe side id stick with 2 because you dont want her becoming obese

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

she is adorable. i would say 2 for now. if she is hungry again after a few days then next feed give her a third. that is how i know when to move mine up. i wait to see if she 'hunts' for food in thier cage.

Love love love the name!!

11. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

yea like he said 2 for now then wait like 4 days and offer another if she doesnt take it then shes not ready for more

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm in love again, what a gorgeous looking snake! Now I want one:)

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Always had a soft spot for the tricolors!

I would recommend sticking with one or maybe two for now. If you over feed there is a good chance of waking up to the not so sweet smell of puked up pinky!

14. SonnysDragonS

Ok thank you for all the advise!

15. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Thats freakin nasty!!!

16. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

I would like to interject here a bit.....Contrary to what the online caresheets and TFH books say......
    Depending on the husbandry provided to the knoblochi it will not puke nor become obese with numerous prey items.
    If there is a sufficient thermal and humidity gradient a growing kingsnake will eat until IT is full and not regurge.
    A growing kingsnake uses all it's caloric intake to grow......They actually strive to be adults.....
    Adult kingsnakes can become obese if never bred or if husbandry is lacking in some areas as an adult hasn't much growing to do anymore....They only need food to sustain, not grow.

There is no such thing as powerfeeding a growing kingsnake.
    I will offer 2 to 4 prey items every feeding for growing kingsnakes.....
    I offer these when they are conserving...Their schedule...not mine......A kingsnake that is conserving is typically on the cool side (70F) of their gradient.
    A king that is digesting is on the warm side (90F) of the gradient. One will see that a growing kingsnake will want to eat 2 to 3 times a week. An adult will want to eat around once a week.....

Just my two cents....

17. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I own a couple of TFH books, they are good but only a guide. One of my books recommends using Calcium Sand and we all know the complications associated with that. I'm not saying your wrong, just my two cents.

Most Colubrids have a great feeding response and will always be in the mood for food.
    Kings have also been know to cannibalize, doesn't mean that they should.

18. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

19. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

If kept correctly they will not be always in the mood for food.....
    You want to discuss pairing breeding groups of kings year round....Those books say not to either.....lol

20. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

BTW....By no means I am I stating anyone should do exactly as I say or do.....I am merely pointing out the fact that there is no set recipe or way.....There are many ways to keep and breed kingsnakes that yield favorable results....

Cheers,