This Disappears When Logged In

Karma Shed & Questions

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Karma Momma, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

According to the breeder, Karma is between 6-7 months old. I bought her back in November as a 1-2 month old. This is her shed from yesterday, eyecaps included (I check for those every time). She's getting an upgrade to a 48 x 12 x 21 as soon as I get some muscle at my house to help me get it set up. Hopefully it'll be this weekend. Newbie mistake-I underestimated her growth rate.

I've seen on the forum that some people slow down the feeding when the animal gets 6 months old. Karma eats every 5 days. Not trying to power feed her, but when I was feeding her once a week, she was getting "strikey" at day 4. She's 30" right now. I don't have a weight for her, but as you can see from the pics, she's healthy.

For those that decrease feeding at 6 months, do you do it because the animal indicates the need or is it done to prevent obesity? I'm trying to decide what is best for Karma, feed wise. Karma Shed.jpg Karma.jpg

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have always used an every 7 days schedule. Even for hatchlings. When you always fed on the same day it helps to remember whether you have fed them

3. Karma Momma

Is that for all ages? Even your older herps?

I put reminders in my phone unless I'm waiting on pups to be born for Nushi, then the reminder goes on the mouse tank. lol

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Can't really give complete advice on feeding until I know what your currently feeding. Usually the decrease in feeding rate comes when there is an increase in the prey size being offered. I'd also advise getting a digital kitchen scale of some sort so you can start tracking weight. Age doesn't have a ton to do with size, it is far more dependent on feeding. Example: I have 4 females from the same clutch. They are all 2 years old. 3 of them are anywhere from 1500-1800 grams. The last has been a problem feeder, and is barely 800g.
    My guess right now is that you may be feeding undersize meals, and that's why the snake got bitey when trying to go longer.

Edit: Forgot to add, my usual schedule is to feed hatchling twice a week, and usually down to once a week after they hit 300-500g. Adults females once a week if they are in the breeding schedule, males and non breeding females every two weeks, dependent on body condition and any fasting issues.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes. I fed everybody on the same day. That way I only had one day for plates of frozen rodents to be laying out for my wife to have to look at!
    Some people do stretch out the feeding of larger constrictors to every 2 weeks and that is fine as well.

6. Karma Momma

She's getting large mice. I bet you're right that I'm feeding her undersized meals.

I know she's ready for rats and am working on getting a habitat set up for them and the materials needed for me to humanely euthanize them for feeding. I do need to switch her from live to freshly killed now that she is eating adult mice and ready for rats. I enjoy breeding the food for my girls and I have a friend with several snakes. He and I "donate" snake food to each other if either of us are running low.

I'm putting a digital kitchen scale on my list now. Thank you. That's an excellent idea.

Oh yes, definitely need to keep the peace with the wife. Some of us women don't like carcasses hanging out around the house. hahaha

I love how there are so many different ways to do things in this hobby. Always something new to learn.