This Disappears When Logged In

Kansas Herping

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by iturnrocks, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Monday, May 7 2007- Kansas City, KS
    I spent the first few hours wading through the mud and muck of a flooded field trying to catch some Great Plains Toads and Plains Spadefoots. I got plenty of the GP's, but no spadefoots. I also found a shell of a painted turtle. Then I visited a concrete "pitfall" and found 3 plains leo frogs, and a baby RES.

[​IMG]

After it got dark, I waded into another wetland and found numerous Leo frogs, woodhousii, americanus, northern crickets, and Gray Treefrogs. I also heard a lot of Boreal Chorus Frogs, but I didnt see any. Dragging a net around, I scooped up some larval sallies, and hundreds of various types of tadpoles.

Great Plains Toad 15
    Gray Treefrog 12
    Woodhouse's Toad 13
    American Toad 6
    Plains Leopard Frog 19
    Cricket Frog 27

Larval Salamander 9

Painted turtle 1 (shell)
    Slider 1

By distribution, these are either smallmouth or eastern tigers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These sallies have cleaned out my daphnia/ostracod tank, and now Im netting mosquito larvae for them. They seem to eat anything.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Great pics and apparently great hunting!
    I can't say I've ever heard of plains leopard geckos.
    What are they?

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

My thoughts exatly..... cool pics though.

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I'm with them^^ What's a plains leopard geckos? We want pics! LOL

Maybe it's a leopard frog, little typo after all the caffeine and adrenaline of feild work.

Nice shoots and finds, glad someones getting dirty this year.

5. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

testing

LEO
    LEOS
    leo
    leos

6. venus

venus Founding Member

The Sallies are cute :)

7. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

If you would read the rest of the post, you would see
    Plains Leopard Frog 19

The only geckos we have in Kansas are introduced Mediterranean Geckos, so I have no need to reference Leopard Geckos, because when I want to see herps, I dont go to a pet store.

Apparently this forum is broken and automatically converts "L"E"O"S" to Leopard Geckos.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

I think they were referring to the first paragraph in your post :)

9. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

It isn't broken. lol I have it setup that way. It changes several abbreviations into the commonly translated phrase or word. Sorry about that, I am the culprit. lol

It also converts links into their full page title instead of showing the link. This is all for SEO purposes.

By the way, sounds like you had a great day and the pics are cool! I have never seen those before.

10. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Thats one of the reasons I rarely visit this forum anymore. It has become so "new user" friendly, that it confuses us old pros. Navigation for me consists of clicking on every tab to try and guess where the specific forums are. It took me about 5 tries to find the field herping forum. Congrats on setting yourselves apart from the standard forum, which is great if this is the only forum you visit, but its pretty awkward for those of us who have a preconception of what a forum layout should be.

But it is a very pretty forum with nice graphics.

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A lot of the features found on this site will be user selectable. I myself don't like some of the layout we currently have. Its a feature in the works. Unfortunantly, i can't just toss it all up as quickly as I would like.

I also intend on adding a complete listing of every forum we have in a single drop menu. I too am an old pro at these sites and am coming upon my 10th year on the net.

The site evolves as the members evolve. It will get sorted, its what I do. lol

12. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Once again, its a great looking forum. If I was into the whole herpetoculture thing, I would have no problems because I would be here all the time.

13. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Either way...Thanks for sharing!!! I didn't mean to give you a hard time, you know id's 10X better than I, I just thought it was a funny typo, it had me laughing :)

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yeah I sure wasn't aware of any leopard geckos in Kansas!

15. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I wanted to share some pics- Here is one of those salamander larvae eating a Triops. They snapped up fairy shrimp and clam shrimp with ease, but the Triops took about an hour to get down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I swear I posted in this thread earlier. Oh well. Either way, nice sally larvae! Are you going to keep them into adulthood to see what species they are?

17. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Yes, but Im pretty sure they are smallmouth salamanders.

18. venus

venus Founding Member

Cool, you'll have to take updated pics as they progress :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.