This Disappears When Logged In

Kansas Centipedes

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by iturnrocks, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Here are the 2 species of Scolopendra we find in Kansas.

S. heros
    [​IMG]

and S. polymorpha
    [​IMG]

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Great pictures! We really should post some pics of our centipede (scolopendra Subspinpes) - not quite big enough for food the size in the first pic yet :p but munching on crickets so will be growing big in no time!

3. Bitis Gabonica

Ok here he is... not such a poser - was trying to hide from us taking pics of him :p As I said, not so big that he can eat mice yet, but a gorgeous specimen :)

Attached Files:

4. fuse

fuse Elite Member

how long are the lifespan of average giant centipedes???

5. Bitis Gabonica

I don't know for sure, but I am under the impression that they only have a short lifespan - only a couple of years? Perhaps Brian will know more? :)

6. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

great pics, but I dont much care for centipedes, they give me the eeebiejeebies, lol, stick to my Ts,

7. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

The lifespan for the average centipede is....no one knows. Some in the hobby have kept soem in the scolopendra genus from pedeling to death for a little over 10 years. I've had one of mine for almost 4 years now and I bought it when it was already an adult.

Bitis that doesnt look like a subspinipes but lemme check again...

Oh and nice pics iturnrocks. I love that heros. I've been looking for one but dealers rarely have them.

8. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Bitis that looks like a Scolopendra Heros. I'm not sure which subspecies of the Heros but it really looks like one of them. Yellow legs, black body, red head--heros markings.

If you can get close ups of the head, antenna, and a couple more pics of the whole pede, i can double check but im almost sure you own a heros, CONGRATS

9. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Here are some pics of my pedes.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

10. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

Here is one of my early animations I did from a photo of a S. heros.

I was just learning how to use imageready, so the results are not all too amazing.

[​IMG]

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i like all the colors of everyone's centipedes but i'll just stick to looking at pics. i like that little animation. its cute. :)

12. eper-ani

eper-ani Elite Member

Well did I help answer some og your guys' questions?

13. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I like those little critters, have to add them to my wish list. lol

14. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

omg, ever since i saw a centipede go after a juvenille iguana on the discovery channel, i just can't take it. They freak me out! nice looking though.....for a bug. (not really a bug person)

15. fuse

fuse Elite Member

same here, prefer scorpions and Ts
    when i was young, i helped out in the garden with mum, and sometimes u get to see these big pedes. and boy, they're real scary

16. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Those give me the creeps!!!!!
    I can't even stand to see crickets much less something with THAT MANY LEGS!!! :eek:
    You can keep them!~ LOL

17. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Best word to describe what I felt after seeing that half eaten pinkie photo =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.