This Disappears When Logged In

juvenile

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by dcboas, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcboas

dcboas Elite Member

I have a juvenile rat snake and need some help.Right now it is grey with black markings.I need to know if as it gets older will it change to black.Everything I have read doesnt confirm my questions.HELP!! :confused:

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

do you know what type of rat it is??

3. dcboas

dcboas Elite Member

not really.the book i am holding right now doesnt help at all,it just tell alittle about them and even has a pic of one that looks just like mine.the book is amphibians and reptiles of the cacolinas and virginia

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

do ya have a picture you can post of him ???

5. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

The best guide is Peterson Field Guides! I've got Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern Central North America. I buy almost all of my books from www.half.com. I find what I want in stores and then search for it by isbn on half.com. I think I paid like $5 for my petersons guide!

Here is a pic of a black rat snake that I photographed by Whitewater Falls in NC back in '98.
    [​IMG]

6. dcboas

dcboas Elite Member

if anyone has the same book the pic is on page 202 and is idenical to mine :)

7. redgirl77

redgirl77 Elite Member

My Peterson's says this:

BLACK RAT SNAKE, E. obsoleta obsoleta
    Uniform black or with faint traces of spotted pattern; throat light. YOUNG: Patterned like Gray Rat Snake.

(Peterson Field Guides Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern/Central North America page 92)

I just love black rat snakes! They are sooo beautiful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.