This Disappears When Logged In

Juvenile Tiger Salamander

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by gordysgeckos, Oct 27, 2014.

1. gordysgeckos

gordysgeckos Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOwqprBA3wk&list=UUuJizK_mD7J3ThhZNYtmqjQ

This is my juvenile tiger salamander and his/her setup its a 5 gallon tank with moss at the bottom. i spray it daily and i change and wash out the water dish every other day. Right now it its a couple crickets a week. I bought him for 20$ is that a good price? He was also labeled as a marbled salamander though.:)

2. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

5 gallons?! A tiger salamander needs at least twenty gallons of space! Crickets for a juvenile should be fed every day too.

3. Schwing

Schwing Member

I'm not sure about the price, but I agree with Frogsrule. That salamander needs a bigger tank, even as a juvenile. Just bite the bullet and buy an adult-sized tank right now so you're not buying a medium-sized tank, then an adult one a year down the road anyway.

4. gordysgeckos

gordysgeckos Member

ill probably just get a nice big tub at walmart or something. also how fast do you think he will grow. and about the feeding i used to not keep crickets and just feed them all to everything when i got them but now i do some ill bump up hisfeeding. tell ya what though its a way better place then the pet store i got him from the guy had him in with like 7 hermit crabs

5. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Don't put him in a tub. A tank will be better to keep his humidity along with his other care requirements...

Also, shouldn't you have researched this stuff before you purchased the animal?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A big square rectangle is a big square rectangle. It doesn't matter if its glass or plastic. Tubs are fine and have the advantage of having a lid that will close up the humidity.

7. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

I agree, if you do decide to get a tank, the lid will most likely be screen. Just cover it with foil. (Except where the light fixture goes) This will help with keeping in humidity.

8. gordysgeckos

gordysgeckos Member