This Disappears When Logged In

Just Something I Found in My Backyard...

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by RiverShark, Sep 14, 2013.

1. RiverShark

RiverShark Member

Found this hanging out in my backyard in Pittsburgh, PA. Scared the **** outta me at first but I couldn't help but to get as close as possible to snap a picture. It was about 9 feet off the ground and in between some trees so this is as close as I could get..

I researched it and found out it is a Yellow Garden Spider, Argiope aurantia.

But my question is, do you think it'd be a good idea to take it in? Normally I'd feel bad tearing it's web but it's getting cold in Pittsburgh and I'm afraid it will die. I read that they usually hangout in the same spot and would be sad to see it only once. Any idea on how to keep these? I've never had a spider or tarantula before, only an emperor scorpion for a while, and I see this as an opportunity to get used to spiders

DSC_0026.jpg DSC_0025.jpg

OH, and do you think it's possibly carrying eggs/pregnant? I know it's a female because of the color

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The problem with these guys (well, actually that one is a girl) is that they need a TON of space to spin those huge webs. Many orb-weavers prefer large areas, such as between trees, and anchor lines in some species can stretch over 70 feet. If she is around, rest assured, you will see more in the spring. She looks well enough fed. It's just uncommon for them to spin so close to the ground, so you probably don't see them much because they are usually far above us.

That zigzag pattern in the web is called a stabilimentum. It is suspected to provide a visibility for birds, so they don't inadvertently fly into the web and destroy it. I'm not sure if that has been confirmed though.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know nothing of the breeding habits of this spider. Further research should tell you if it is even the right season for eggs. I suspect not, as we are coming into fall...

4. RiverShark

RiverShark Member

I managed to find more information and learned they actually do lay their eggs in the fall, where the spiderlings remain in their websacks until the end of winter. Pretty cool, and as far as trying to keep it, it would probably be best if I just let it be seeing as they need so much room. I don't want to deprive it of the space it needs, although it is really pretty.. Probably for the better in case it is laying eggs soon haha, don't want these all over my house no matter how pretty

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You could always feed it. Toss bugs into her web for her, lol. I do that with my spiders around the house. If I happen to see some grasshoppers, moths, or other insects lurking around my house, I toss them into a spiderweb. And i don't brush down the webs unless they are really truly in the way (one large garden spider spun a web across the garage door - sorry buddy - but I did only take down the strands necessary to let me in.)

I don't mind the spiders. Unlike mosquitoes, they won't chase you down to suck your blood.

6. RiverShark

RiverShark Member

I actually tried that, but the mealworm just went through the web and I felt bad lol. I'm gonna have to fine something lighter

7. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I first saw one of those in NC. We were out by Bodie Island lighthouse. It was so neat. They are in Ohio too it turns out:) I haven't really seen many here. But the web is so neat.