This Disappears When Logged In

Just Got My Snake Home! ...nervous Snake Mom Question

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by aromatherapykim, Jan 12, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Just got my new albino hondurian milk snake home. He was definitely more squirly when he got out of the bag but I assumed he would be. Put him in his tank and he went in his hide but has now dug underground im guessing to get closer to the heating pad. Can he burn himself? Im guessing he just needs time to adjust.

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It depends if you have anything to regulate the under tank heater like a rheostat or thermostat. If not, yes he can burn himself and probably will. Those things can get 120 degrees or more. What are you measuring the temps with and where is it located?

- - - Updated - - -

Also yes other than spot cleaning him do not handle him or try to feed him for at least 7 days that way he can adjust to his new house.

3. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I dont have something to regulate it? Where do I get somdthing? should I remove the heat pad?? Remove it at night? Dig him out??

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You can get one online. I used Amazon.com and got one for around 25.00 it's the hydrofarm thermostat, or they may have one at a home renovation store or pet store. I've used the pet store ones to hold me over until I got a different one.

Just keep an eye on it but definitely get one asap. He should regulate his own temps but that's not always the case.

Also look into getting a temperature gun (found online also relatively cheap and you can check multiple areas) or a digital thermometer with probe. (You can get those at any Wal-Mart in the thermometer section/home department for about 12.00). However the probes will have to be moved to get accurate temps on the rest of the cage too.