This Disappears When Logged In

Just Got a IJ Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by jdandlucy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

DSCF0169_zpsc168c911.jpg DSCF0170_zps631172c0.jpg DSCF0171_zpsb7a78bfc.jpg this is the new hide i made for her. the dog cage it is sitting is for one of my pit bulls. that cage is 22x36 of that should tell you how big the hide is

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Give her a good place to hide, and definitely give her some sturdy branches to climb on. Use one of the branches as the basking spot and put the hide on the ground beneath it. I also recommend you get a lot of fake leaves to put all over the place particularly over/around the climbing branches and around her hide. This way she will be able to thermo regulate by switching between being in the hide, sitting on top of the hide, and being up in the branches without sacrificing security. She should also be able to explore the other areas of the enclosure in order to get comfortable and having foliage around will make her feel more at home. Once you have her set up like that just leave her alone for a week, maybe even put a blanket over the front and just check on her a couple times a day briefly. After a week I bet she'll be willing to eat, but I would try mice for a better chance. If she takes a mouse at that time you can then try working her over to rats.

Do you know how the previous owner was keeping her? I'm guessing she was in a rack?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Dang, that thing looks sweet! It will be perfect she can even sit right on top of it.

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

ty. was the first time i have ever done anything with expanding foam other than its normal use. i had done some fake ivy and a larger tree branch with more limbs. i actually had to screw it in from the bottom of the enclosure. i will get some more leaves and stuff in here enclosure, and cover it with a blanket so nothing in the reptile room can disturber her.

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

and to answer your question. yes she was rack kept.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

I had a feeling. It's a big change going from a rack to an open tank like that. She will really be able to thrive in this new one though, if given enough time to adjust. Do you have a picture of it?

7. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

not since the change over from the ball python. but here are a few while the BP was still living in it. DSCF0006.jpg DSCN0291.jpg DSCN0282.jpg the last one was right after i finished construction. i will try to get some new ones tomorrow to show the changes made.

8. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey, first off, awesome looking IJ. Carpets are imo the most interesting of snakes. Has she eaten yet? Hopefully she will take some prey for you after she settles in. Give her plenty of hides especially at first. The more secure she feels, the more likely she will be to eat. I have noticed that IJ's specifically are very sensitive to prey heat signatures no matter what I do, mine will not even pay attention to its food unless it is between 95 and 100 degrees. (A live mouse is generally around 102 degrees.) Hope this helps. Get her eating for now, and we can deal with switching her over after we know she will be ok.