This Disappears When Logged In

Just Curious

Discussion in 'Crocodilians - General' started by cbbrown, Feb 1, 2014.

1. cbbrown

cbbrown Active Member

This is for owners, what kind of legal matters did you have to go through to own such a large reptile? How did you neighbors and family feel about it? I've read and watched a few programs on people owning these animals and i never had a chance to ask.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't personally own one but I have a friend who does. In our city it is illegal to even possess a crocodilian on non commercial property. He owns a reptile specialty store and has a pond out back where he keeps them. I suspect you will find similar situations in most cities....if they even allow them at all. Irresponsible keepers have resulted in many places prohibiting their presence.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

There are a lot of legal issues with the keeping of these guys, but its all at the state/local level. So it just depends where the keeper is located. Then on top of that therr are home owners insurance issues. My girlfriend kept a spectacled caiman for four years that was 100% legal for them to keep with out any special permits or anything, but there homeowners insurance flipped out when they saw it. Cancelled their policy and would not reinstate until they inspected the property and confirmed the animal wasnt there anymore.