This Disappears When Logged In

Just Bought My First Snake!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by ToriH, Nov 1, 2011.

1. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

How long does regular frozen meat last?

2. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Lol you have to understand, I am just turned 19 (I graduated in May) and finally moving out within the next few weeks so real life experience = none. I have a lot to learn about the world lol

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I'm pretty sure we discussed this earlier on this forum. Some people claim f/t rats will last up to a year, but most will only trust it up to 6 months. I personally have a few f/t rats that are about 5 months in the freezer now and they are still plenty fresh.

4. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

How many do you order at a time? I've been told to feed my snake once a week and I don't want to order too many or too less.

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

You know, honestly I struggled with that too when it comes to baby snakes, LOL! They grow so fast. I ended up with wayyy too many adult mice. Thankfully, I was able to use them to get Maru back on feeding after his last hunger strike(he's always picky, so when he decides not to eat it's even HARDER to get him to take f/t anything)

I also have never had cornsnakes! I'll wait for someone to give you better advice on how many to get!

6. Lacrimosaangel

Lacrimosaangel Elite Member

Wow, We never used to feed them anything that was more than the width of their bodies, thanks for the heads up though ^^

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I'm here to serve! :)

You can most certainly feed a hatchling corn once a week. If it looks like your snake is still hungry, or is moving around a few hours after feeding, wait until the next scheduled feeding day and feed two of what you were feeding before, until he's big enough around to take the next size. Once he gets older and bigger, you can feed every two weeks instead of one.

8. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I think she was full lol She burrowed under her substrate and was still there when I checked on her a few hours later.

Funny story. She always burrows and when she first did it, I freaked out thinking she got out. I was looking everywhere with a flash light. My boyfriend started laughing cause he was sitting by her tank when her head popped out from under her bedding. Now when I need to find her, it'll be like a game of hide and seek lol