This Disappears When Logged In

Just Bought My First Snake!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by ToriH, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Be extremely careful with her around the cat! She looks allot like a anery to me, not a kisatchie.

2. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

An anery? Maybe! I can't really tell the difference between the two. Can you maybe point them out for me?

I was holding her when my cat came up to investigate. I was ready to shove my cat away if anything bad happened.

The little snake seems to be doing fine today. I let her explore my bed, and her tongue was flickering every slither of the way. I might get a pinky to feed her with today, if not, I'll get one tomorrow for sure! I'll make sure to get pictures!

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

A little advice: don't handle your snake for about 24 hours before you feed, and at least 48 after so there is the least possible chance of regurge.

4. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I never knew about the before hand handling. I knew about the 48 hours.

That's interesting! Is it the stress of being handled that makes them regurge?

5. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Yep! Anery corns are grey and black and kisatchie corns are grey and brownish black.

6. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Thank you!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You aren't THAT fast! It can happen in the blink of an eye. Keep the cat away from the snake.

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Also keep in mind a lot if different corn months LOOK alike when they're hatchlings. My blood red corn looked like a normal right out of the egg. Now that it is older, it has lost it's pattern and gained most of it's red coloration. Not saying every corn will look just like any other corn, only that there are some that might fool you if you are not careful. ;)

9. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The reason it's a good idea to not handle before feeding is stress. Stress is the biggest reason a healthy snake will either refuse food or regurgitate food after eating it! I never handle Maru the day of feeding because he is so high stress. Nagini..I could probably feed her while HOLDING her, haha, not that I'd try that. Still, good rule of thumb--try not to scare your snake before or after it eats!

10. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I never knew that lol. I learn something new every day. So I'm gonna feed her today and the only handling I've done was to move her out of her water bowl to give her fresh water.

I got this box to feed her in and I'm very VERY excited to feed her. :D

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hey your snake is a cutie! Congratulations! :)

12. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Your corn is BEAUTIFUL!! :)

13. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Thank you!! :D

14. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Here she is feeding.

At first she wasn't interested at all but then she grabbed it by it's head began eating it... ALIVE.... Is that ok?

Attached Files:

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

She's beautiful!!

But no. you shouldn't let them eat live food. By their nature, corns are constrictive - that's how they kill but it isn't instant - it would take less than a second for live prey to turn and bite the snake in retaliation which can result in infection - or worse :(

Not to mention the risk of harm to the snake if they strike and miss - they're VERY fast strikers and if the mouse were to run and the snake hit the glass, or the floor - at that speed they can really hurt themselves =\

If you want the freshness of live prey, pre-kill it (in a bag and smack on the table top or something) and then feed it - it'll be warm and fresh, but at no risk to your lil one getting hurt :)

Edit- that mouse looks a little too large for her in my opinion =\ They shouldn't really be bigger than the widest part of the snakes' bodies... otherwise they may have problems digesting and possibly regurgitate the meal.

Thank you!

I was planning on pre-killing once I moved up from pinkies. I wanted this one to be alive and moving since this was her first meal. I am thankful she ate though and she hasn't regurged it.

The pinkie went down ok and now she's basking in her light. I goit the pinkie from the reptile shop I bought her from and they said it'd be ok for her.

Thanks!!! :)

Thanks so much! :)

I know I won't get an even humidity, but if I don't spray it in the evening the humidity by the basking spot will drop to 30 to 40%. The substrate isn't soaked, it's tacky, and it's not molding. :) I also stir it regularly because the top layer tends to harden as it dries. Also, he likes to be sprayed, he drinks the water and stands in it.

I would love to make a video of him!!! but he freezes when he realizes I'm watching him. I typically have to peek around the anole tank to see what he's up to. I hope he's looking better! I'm doing everything I can!!!

16. purplemuffin

Snakes have really been known for eating pinkies alive. They are so small and harmless it seems almost by nature the snakes just don't try to constrict it. Also happens when snakes are fed prey too small or if they have been fed f/t their whole lives. A pinky couldn't hurt your snake, but yes a mouse would. I don't think a corn would eat an older rodent alive but it's still always good to feed f/t or p/k for the snake's health AND for the rodent's!

17. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Yeah I'm gonna pre-kill once she grows big enough for fuzzies. I just don't wanna do f/t cause mice in my freezer just is a no no for me.

18. purplemuffin

It's not that bad honestly. We have ours double bagged, but it's no different than having regular meat in the freezer.

Maybe you could pick up a mini freezer for cheap when you start needing rodents. :) I for one am extremely happy to not have to kill them ourselves...and now we only have to pay 80 cents a rat rather than the 6 bucks we were paying to do p/k! But we all have what works for us!

19. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I might just do that once she moves up to hoppers! Sounds better to save that much money. How long do they last in the freezer though?

20. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Ditto on what Kat said. I honestly don't see how keeping some frozen rodents in opaque bags stuffed in the back of the freezer could be worse than smashing in the brains of live ones. My own personal opinion, I s'pose.

And I wanted to comment on what Lacrimosa said about the size. Corns can easily take prey items that are 1 and 1/2 times the width of the widest part of their bodies. One book I have on keeping corns says they can eat something twice the width, but I'd be too chicken to try. So, yeah, that pinky was just fine, in case you were worried.