This Disappears When Logged In

Just Bought My First Snake!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by ToriH, Nov 1, 2011.

1. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

It is a baby Corn Snake, so I won't know its gender for awhile but...

I'm absolutely loving it! It's pattern is black and beautiful.

I have it housed in a 10 gallon tank, with aspen substrate and a dish with water in it. I have a heat light over the tank too.

I'm just loving this snake.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Actually, baby snakes can be sexed like, pretty much as soon as they are born, unlike most lizards! :) You can ask a knowledgeable breeder, keeper, or vet to sex it for you if you don't know how to 'probe' or 'pop' the snake yourself!

Congrats! I LOVE corn snakes :)

3. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

The reptile store I bought it from lied then lol. It's ok I'll go back in a month to bug them. :D

4. justor

justor Elite Member

This is a common occurance in pet shops. They probably didn't "lie" to you, but the person probably just didn't know what they were talkin about. I wouldn't take the snake there to get it sexed. Take it to a vet or breeder or someone with real experience. If done incorrectly, sexing can be harmfull to your snake so I wouldn't trust any pet shop to do it... especially one that said baby snakes can't be sexed.

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

It's a good idea to take every new animal to the vet anyway with a fecal sample, just to make sure everything's in working order.

Pics??? ;)

6. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Here are pictures.
    I haven't decided a name yet, but my boyfriend keeps telling me to give it a Mortal Kombat name. Lol

Attached Files:

7. hennisntacanibal

What a cutie!! I've never seen those colors on a corn before.

8. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I went looking at different morphs and I do believe it is a Kisatchie Corn Snake.

I had a choice between normal ones, albino ones and the one and only black one. Mine was the prettiest one out of the bunch.

9. hennisntacanibal

I tend to agree. :)

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What a gorgeous little baby! Loving the pattern:x

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to chime in but, babies can be sexed but it's highly recommended you don't. They're still developing and their spines can be more easily damaged if probed incorrectly. It's much better to wait till they're around a year, just for their own safety.

12. purplemuffin

That's why they are usually popped as babies rather than probed. I've never seen a baby snake sold unsexed from a breeder because they were too young! But--it should ALWAYS be done by someone who knows what they are doing. A snake of ANY age can be hurt by probing or popping by someone untrained!

13. justor

justor Elite Member

Definitely agree!

Although it certainly can be done early on, unless you have a real reason to aside from curiosity it's not worth risking injury to the snake.

14. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Yeah the manager said he didn't want to hurt it. The reptile store is the only one I know of in my city (and I hate going there because I always want to take a new animal home), and I have yet to find a reputable herp vet.

But I'm having so much fun with this little baby. I'm gonna give it a pinkie once it settles down in a few days

15. justor

justor Elite Member

16. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Sadly the closest one is 60+ miles away, but if it comes down to it, I know I'll probably drive twice as far if my snake needs it.

17. purplemuffin

What I ended up doing was calling a vet near me and asking if they saw reptiles, they of course said no, but gave me a list of a few near me who did! :)

18. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

I'll probably do that! I just gotta wait a few days so I can feed (I'm gonna say it's a her lol) her so I can get a fecal sample next week to take to the vet.

So far she's doing great. She bit me once, but it was my fault. I startled her. Other than that she's very calm when I handle her!

19. hennisntacanibal

Fortunately bites from a corn, especially a baby, don't hurt at all. Mine likes to latch onto me every time I take him out. The most annoything thing about it is that sometimes he doesn't want to let go, and I'm stuck with a two and a half foot wriggling white worm dangling from my finger. That and his teeth don't do near enough damage to merit a picture. :)

20. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

It startled me, but then I was like "HA! I'm not scared of you!"
    But I've been handling her for 5 minutes at a time and she's been flicking her tongue and active, and very very nice. She let my cat come up and sniff her face.

I just made a hide out of a box for her and she goes in it a lot too. So yay!

I'm thinking about calling her Percival. Not sure yet though.