This Disappears When Logged In

Just A Bit Of Help Guys

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Sam andrews, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Sam andrews

Sam andrews Member

image.jpg image.jpg Hi guys
    I recently bought my first corn snake!
    He/she is only a baby, absolutely great though he's so lively, and so fast, hence why me and my daughter named him lightning!
    I would like to know what morph you guys think he is? And also the pet shop told me that they gave lightning a small pinky on Wednesday and another on Sundays, is this enough for him/her or shall I give the baby a little bit of meat to go with the pinky?
    Thanks a lot!

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

No help on the morph, I'm not a corn snake expert, but as for the feeding one pinky every 5 days is plenty for a baby, once/week is also fine. Feed every 5 days and he/she will grow a little faster (than feeding once weekly), but not much. The food item should be about the same diameter as the thickest part of the corn snake's body. Pinky mice will be fine for a few months, then you can either feed 2 at a time or move up to fuzzy or hopper mice. Don't overfeed, and allow the snake several days alone after eating before handling to allow plenty of time to digest the meal.

3. Sam andrews

Sam andrews Member

Ah thanks a lot for the reply and ok I'll stick to a pinky twice a week

4. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

As for the morph it looks kind of like a ghost corn snake

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And what did you mean by "a little bit of meat"?

6. Sam andrews

Sam andrews Member

Yeah that's what I thought he looked most like when I was looking it up, but wasn't 100%
    Thanks a lot

7. Sam andrews

Sam andrews Member

And I have seen a lot online about people giving their snakes a tiny bit of raw red meat, or thinks like liver or heart everynow and then, so I was just asking whether that's a good idea or not?

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

No meat. Not needed, and its not really healthy. Whatever sites you were looking at to get that info, stop going there. This is nothing against you, just a really good example of how much misinformation is out there. And I might be wrong, that snake looks like it should be able to handle a fuzzy mouse now. Are the pinkies leaving a noticeable lump?

9. Sam andrews

Sam andrews Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys and no the pinkie doesn't really leave a lump, but the pet shop I get them from sells small pinkies and large pinkies, and they told me he should be eating the smaller ones atm, but he ate today's one no struggle whatsoever

10. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I've seen posts from people who have fed their snakes hot dogs, chicken breast, etc. None of that is a normal part of a snake's diet, and while occasionally may not be particularly harmful, it's still not a good idea. Feeding rodents raised in captivity eliminates the risk of parasites that may come along with wild caught prey. While a healthy animal can live with parasites, it's still better all around to avoid them if possible. Some snakes will only eat lizards or other reptiles, but a corn snake can live it's entire life eatinf rodents w/out any diet-related issues (unless overfed and fat.) One reason they're such a popular pet species.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If what your feeding isn't leaving a noticeable lump, go up in size. Assuming you don't have really small hands or anything (which is kind of the only reference of size in the pictures), I had mine on fuzzies at that size. Rodent sizing is a bit subjective though, so just go up one size at a time until you find what works.