This Disappears When Logged In

Jungle Carpets and Morphs Questions

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by harrisonwhite, Nov 26, 2012.

1. harrisonwhite

harrisonwhite New Member

I am looking to set up a (LxWxH) 36x18x36 by exo-terra for a carpet python. I hope to get a male Jungle Carpet python. They stay smaller and brighter than females usually right? I want a sub adult that is not completely full grown but past the nippy stage. im wondering if anyone has any specimens that fin the description. High yellow is preferred

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Males are typically smaller, but the sex does not have anything to do with color or brightness.

3. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but whether or not it's past the nippy phase will have something to do with how much it's been handled, yes? Not just the simple fact that it's older. I'd say it's better to start with a younger snake, whose bites won't hurt as much, so that you can get comfortable handling it and it can get comfortable with you without too much stress on either end.

Of course, older snakes are fine too-- I'm just saying that if you're specifically worries about nippiness, I'd start with a baby or make sure that the older animal has been handled frequently and gently.

Also, in my understanding, many JCs go through an 'ugly duckling' period in their sub-adult time, so...what it looks like at the moment may not be what it is in a couple years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  4. justor

justor Elite Member

Handling will often get them to stop biting sooner, but I think it really has more to do with the size of the snake. As they get bigger they become potential food for fewer predators, and as a result are not as nervous around everything that approaches them. Most breeders give their hatchlings little, if any handling time except to clean a tub or take some pictures, and they typically come around just fine.

As for the 'ugly duckling' phase... You've got it wrong. They are the most beautiful when they are sub-adults. They come out of the egg rather drab and dull, usually combinations of brown gray and black. Once they approach a year of age they start to show their true colors, which get better and better with each shed until they reach about four years old or so. At that point some may start to brown out or get that muddy look, and the vibrant yellows often begin to fade away. Between one and four years of age is when they look their best in most cases.

5. JohnC

JohnC Elite Member

I agree completely with this post.