This Disappears When Logged In

Jungle Carpet Python

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by diehardislanders, Jul 14, 2012.

1. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Hey guys, I am looking into purchasing a JCP at the expo in 3 weeks. It is hard to find decent information on them, so I figured I would reach out to some of you who I see own them. I am looking for an interesting display snake, medium sized (6'-8') that can be handled. From what I can find to read they seem to fit the bill. What has your experience keeping them been like? Anything specific I should know about?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Expect babies to be a bit nippy. Older ones tend to tame down pretty well but there is always the odd rascal.
    And don't expect them to be sedate like a ball python or boa constrictor. They are more like a cornsnake,...always on the move.

3. justor

justor Elite Member

A carpet python sounds like what you're looking for. I got my coastal at ten months old and she only bit me once the very first time I tried to handle her. Since then she has been pretty chill. They are very good display snakes, and like to perch up like a chondro especially when young so provide some climbing branches. And yea, expect it to be very active when you have it out.

Jungles have a reputation for being stubborn mice eaters sometimes, but don't let that discourage you.

4. mele

mele Elite Member

I have a baby jungle. She's very wild and strikes at anything that moves. Trying to switch her to rat pups is harder then I thought bit I'm hoping she will come around. They are great snakes :) just have to get past the baby stage.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Thanks guys. What kind of/size enclosure do you use? When in the bitey baby stage do you just leave them be or do you force handle it out of them? My main desire is for something interesting to observe, but being able to handle it would defiantely be a plus.

6. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

I plan on getting either a JCP or BRB next reptile show which I don't even know when it is