This Disappears When Logged In

Jungle Carpet Always in Same Spot

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by HerpsAnonymous, Nov 10, 2013.

1. So my jungle carpet python has been staying in the same spot for a little over a week now. I thought it might be getting ready to shed since I've had it for about 6 weeks and it hasn't shed yet. Its eyes aren't really foggy or anything like that. I haven't been handling it for the last week thinking it was going to shed but idk now. Its about 1.5 maybe 2 feet long, 20 gal terrarium, 50-60% humidity, hot side 88-89 degrees, cool side 75-79 degrees, eating just fine. Its just always in the same exact spot. Maybe I'm just worrying, but is this normal?

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My IJ carpet is like that. Sometimes he snaps out of it on his own, sometimes I kinda make him snap out of it by messing with him or handling him.

Snakes are, for the most part, lazy animals. If his basic needs are met as far as food, water, and temperature, they really have no reason to move around.

3. Ok thank you! Good to hear

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

mine hardly moved once fed :D I have several and none make an effort to be active unless looking for food. To me a snake staying put is hardly a reason to worry

5. Ok what about it not shedding yet? Its been 6 weeks since I got it. Shouldn't it shed very soon?

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

At that size yes, it will probably shed soon. But its not something to worry about. When he needs to shed he will

7. Ok thank you :)

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is the spot where it stays on the warm side or the cool side?

9. More on the edge of the warm side, almost in the middle

10. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

That was an excellent question, if you are concerned check your temps and how you are measuring them to make sure that your hot and cool side are not too extreme. For carpets, it is normal for them to chill in one spot for an extended period of time. However, they are pretty active snakes, so if this behavior is typical of your snake, it is likely that you are not waiting long enough in between feedings. Most people over-feed their snakes, specifically carpets because of their veracious feeding response. They also can take down proportionately larger meals than many other species of snakes. Personally, I wait until my snake starts hunting and foraging before offering her food again, regardless of when she last ate.

11. Ok I'll watch the feeding closely. But she shed yesterday, all in one peice :) and now she seems pretty active again