This Disappears When Logged In

Jumping into Cali Kings

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by SSThorn, Aug 14, 2012.

1. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Hey guys, I need ideas.
    Im getting a banana cali king (M) from my friend very soon. Daytona show is this weekend, and i would like to pick up some females to breed him to.
    Here are my issues, I do not know the genetic make up of the banana morph, and I would like suggestions for what females i could get to cross him with to make some interesting hatchlings. On the females, i dont want to spend TOO much on them. So, if you guys could, toss me some ideas and rough prices on them so dont get screwed. This is my first attempt at colubrids, Im a tad new to this area of snakes.

2. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

The banana gene is not simple recessive or dominant.
    It is a line bred trait. So if you want more banana morphs you should breed yours to another banana.
    You could bred it to an amel or lavender banana and produce bananas that are het for lacv or amel.....

Any pics?

3. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

I dont know his genetic background, but its rumored from the guy im getting him from that he is het for albino.
    If this is true, and i cross him with an albino, there should be a portion of the babies that would be albino bananas, right?

If i cross them, and he ISNT het albino, i would have babies that are het albino with some of them having banana patterns?
    Please help me clarify :p

Attached Files:

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yes het amel x amel will yield 75%
    If yours is not a het and you breed it to an amel all of the offspring will be definite het amel.
    The banana gene will only be present in the offspring if the mate is from the banana lineage or is a banana itself.

5. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Hmm, Seems like a banana is one of those genes that isnt exactly supplementary to any other gene.

6. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

It is a line bred trait......

7. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

So, It kind of isnt. Unless you plan to make more bananas, in which case it would be great!
    I wouldnt mind breeding more bananas, i would prefer something a bit more uncommon though.

8. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Then the best bet is to get into some cutting edge Cali Morphs like Chocolate Tigers, Ghosts, Coral Ghosts, Caspers, Purple Passions or Platinums.

Chocolate Bananas are cool and very affordable now......

9. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Holy cow, Some of those are awesome! Now, how do the prices on these guys range? Example being, Ive seen ball pythons for 20,000$ What would i be looking at for something like the coral ghost.

10. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

All Cali king morphs are under $500.
    90% are under $200.

Here's some of my future breeding stock:
    IMG_2927.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    ChocTiger.jpg
    ChocBanana.jpg
    IMG_9540.jpg

Attached Files:

11. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

The third one and the last ones are awesome. I like the look of albino mutations. Ive just come across an "Albino Banana". This thing is awesome!

Attached Files:

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

That IS a nice amel banana.....
    See if you can find an "artic banana"
    It is a desert phase amel banana that is bright white instead of cream/yellow with red eyes.

13. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Here's an Artic Albino:
    [​IMG]

14. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

These are insane! I kind of wish i got into colubrids before this.
    Ive only dealt with boids long term, i get all kinds of snakes to re-home, but havent contemplated breeding until now.

15. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Considering kings can be cannibalistic, is there risk of that with breeding them?

16. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

This is a controversial subject.
    The short answer is to watch them closely while you are pairing them up until your husbandry is optimal.
    Cannibalism can occur with any snake.
    When breeder kings are kept correctly they can actually be housed together year round but only the most experienced breeders do this.
    Cannibalism occurs mainly when two kings that have never seen one another are thrown together and when one is hungry.

17. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

BTW....North American colubrids are what started this hobby/industry.......

18. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Hmm, ok. So, would it be smart to keep them in enclosures next to eachother to be able to see one another for a period of time before introducing? Im an experienced reptile keeper, but i honestly know next to nothing for colubrids.

19. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

It couldn't hurt...
    But there are many other aspects to providing and conditioning kings before breeding (including thermal & humidity gradients, feeding correctly, brumation, male and female temps after brumation, gestation husbandry, incubation, etc.)
    Some king species are certainly easier than others though........Getula (common kings) are more resilient compared to Mexicana & Montane kings.

20. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Looks like i need to do a tad more reading then!
    I've gotten Monitor Lizard husbandry down, a King snake shouldnt be too difficult.