This Disappears When Logged In

JoJack the Sand Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by malphos101, Feb 20, 2011.

1. malphos101

malphos101 Well-Known Member

Back from the Dixie Reptile Show here in Alabama and thanks to my loving fiancee, I brought back a friend! His name is JoJack (though I forgot to ask if it was male or female, so the name may change ;P) and he is the most beautiful morph!

100_2404.jpg

100_2407.jpg

Attached Files:

2. malphos101

Quick question for you sand boa owners:

Do sand boas prefer substrate they can burrow in (currently using aspen shavings) or are they fine with a carpet and hides? I'm wondering for purely selfish reasons as I would love to see more of my new baby, but if they prefer to burrow I will survive lol

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Beautiful little guy you have there! Good Luck and have fun!
    You could always just use paper towel while he is in quarantine, this way you can watch out for mites, poops!
    I'm not a Sand Boa owner yet, but there are a few members who own them and I'm sure they will be around to give you their thoughts.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats not a morph. Its a regular colored Kenyan Sand boa.

5. malphos101

whoops lol, was meaning to say color, not morph hehe =P

6. mld

But according to the paper on the lid of the tub, he is HET for Albino!

I can't wait, I would like a Kenyan Sand Boa or a Rosy Boa!

7. malphos101

Yea the breeder at the expo said he has albino blood in him, but as I will not be attempting breeding in the near or distant future it wasn't really a selling point for me.

I just love the orange in him, i think he is the first snake I have ever seen in person who had that beautiful orange color.

8. mld

I can understand that as well! They are definitely gorgeous snakes in their normal colors.

9. malphos101

It would be a fun challenge to breed snakes, just got no room or will to deal with offspring lol

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That there is a beautiful snake! Thank you for sharing.

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

If they are like Rosys, they do definitely love to burrow. My Rosy burrows all the time and if he happens to make a tunnel on the side of the glass under the substrate (I use Carefresh), then I can see him! It's pretty cool. I give him an inch or two of substrate and he just goes to town some days making himself tunnels and places to go. Sometimes it looks like I own an empty tank, but he seems to enjoy it so why not! :)

Your Sand Boa is pretty. I do like the way they look and the texture of their skin.

12. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

It's good to know I am not the only one who feels this way about the "orange" snakes....I just recently got my first snake (I got an albino rosy boa) and I chose mine specifically because of the "orange" coloring I saw on one at an expo a while back.....I held off purchasing then, but finally couldn't resist getting one of my own.

Thanks for sharing your photo...You've just reminded me that there are other BEAUTIFUL "orange" snakes....and yours is definitely one of those.

13. mld

I just got a message back from a breeder in Ontario, He is like the best out there, anyway he doesn't ship them unless it's a big order! He breeds both the Kenyan Sand Boa and the Rosy Boa! I am so bummed! :(((

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

That stinks:(.....but on positive note, just gives you one more reason to venture out and head to an expo when they have one in your area.......if he doesn't ship his reptiles, then surely he must sell them at the expos.

15. mld

Only in Ontario, there is one in Mississauga, in May. We only have an expo in Atlantic Canada once a year and It may only have about 18-20 venders, but if I can talk one of the venders into ordering some that would be awesome! They mostly sell Balls, Boas, Cornsnakes, Leopard geckos, Crested geckos, and feeders.

16. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

He or she looks very healthy as well. Bonus.

17. malphos101

I found out from the breeder it is in fact a "He" =D

18. mld

Good to know, there is such a size difference between the male and the female.

19. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Congrats on getting your beautiful little Kenyan Sand Boa. He is absolutely beautiful!