This Disappears When Logged In

Jimmy's New Set-up

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by danomite7, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Well I am keeping the gravel in the tank as it looks good and he likes it!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

gravel has a few different uses. Sludge that settles to the bottom of a tank (uneaten food, feces, etc) will be hidden amongst the gravel. As a result the water will look cleaner, but will not necessarily be cleaner. The stuff can feed small fish. As long as the gravel is not small enough for your turtle to eat it, and therefore pose an impaction risk, there is no problem with leaving it in there.

3. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Yes that is going to stay in there so that it looks nice and that he likes it. :)

4. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Gravel also acts as a home for benificial bacteria. Not a very efficient one, but it helps.

5. betterzack

betterzack Active Member

Your tank looks great. As for the gravel, it doesn't make that much of a difference for benificial bacteria. If you want to have more benificial bacteria you can get an undergravel filter.

6. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

I am happy with the set-up know though. :)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I keep my map turtle on gravel, and he has fun digging in it when some of his food sinks down in. It also looks a lot more natural than bare tank bottom. I always prefer my critter's homes to look as natural as possible.

8. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

Yea just I might get pond rocks so he doesnt eat the gravel by mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.