This Disappears When Logged In

Jerky or Twitchy Snake?!? Please Help

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Hkg, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I'm sorry for all my posts on here. I just have a lot of questions or am constantly worried and have no where to ask but here. Any way my corn snake is in shedding at the moment, but I opened the cage to give her a bath ( I know your not suppose to hold them but I feel like I need to help her shed by giving her a bath. But before I touched her, she lifted her head but it was really jerky. So I thought that it was weird but thought she would stop. So I start to touch her belly to get under her and her whole body was twichy and her head would still do it. So I pulled out and was trying to get my phone to unlock when she was just sitting there and then her whole body twitched, and that scared me! So I finally got my camera open and started to film, and her head kinda jerked but not much. Then my phone died. And she slithered away with out jerks that I could see. What could this be? I feel horrible. Like if this happens to my corn snake , one of the easiest snakes to care for then I any care for anything. She is kinda a "star gazer" she'll look up side down sometimes. I don't know for sure if she is a star gazer, or if it's normal for snakes to do that. It's not full upside down. She'll just look at the too of the cage for a way out and kinda tip. It's hard to explain. I know I take good care if her. I feed her every week, hot side is around 80 degrees f and she always has water. Oh and I think she is about 4 or 5 years old. Never been around other snakes.

2. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

I'm not sure at all, but I'd say its stress. Probably a combination of shedding and being handled freaked her out. I'd recommend (If you feel she needs extra moisture) just spraying her with the mister instead of removing her from the cage if she needs a bath, and keep the water dish full so she can sit in that if she's having trouble shedding.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

She doesn't need your help to shed!
    When snakes are in shed, they are not only uncomfortable from the impending shed, they don't see very well. Just leave the snake alone and let it do what it needs to do.
    They have been shedding on their own long before we we came along.

4. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Though I'd still up the humidity in the cage a bit, to make sure she doesn't have a hard time shedding.