This Disappears When Logged In

Jaw Problems

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Queen 'O Green, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

Hey, HC. Its been a long long time since I have posted, but I really need your help. I'm freaking out here.

I just fed my Juvenile Hog a few hours ago and everything went well. As always I stood right there to make sure she captured her (live) rat and had a handle on things. Then I went about my business as I usually do, checking on her every few minutes until she was done.

She seemed fine when I went to go put her back in her cage. Since she is extremely (EXTREMELY) nippy after feeding I used her climbing branch to move her, which is what I typically use. (snake hooks are impossible to find around here. I have checked several stores) She did strike at the stick, which is no wider than she is, twice, which is why I use the stick and not my hand.

So... I got her up on the stick gently, put her in her cage and suddenly realized that something was very wrong. Her jaw seemed crooked, but not at all like it does when she's got it unhinged and has to yawn to fit it back in place. The problem seemed more in the frontal area of her mouth , almost like the lower lip (the upper lip seems fine) has folded in on itself. Her tongue seemed almost unable to come out at first, it would curl and sort of twitch its way out.

She seems a little bit better now, her tongue seems able to flick like usual and the folding is less pronounced, but there is this strange sort of crease of one side, and the lips just dont line up. I let her sit for a little while then very gently pulled her mouth open with a q-tip, but I just could't see what was going on.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been out of a job and I'm going to school full time. I dont know if I can afford a vet, but I cant stand to see her like this. I've been in panicked tears for most of the evening and just now thought of posting back on here again.

Tomorrow if things are still looking grim I will try to take a picture. Thank you for your time!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

In addition to snakes unhinging their jaws they also have an area in the front of the chin that dislocates to accommodate the size prey that they can swallow. It sounds like the snake had a problem realigning this. If it is still like that post a picture.

3. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

Okay, I went and checked on her today and things are looking a lot better. There is still a sort of odd fold in her lower lip, but it is much better than yesterday and everything is almost lined up.

Thank you for replying so quickly Merlin! It looks like you may have been spot on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.