This Disappears When Logged In

Java Moss

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by josh112990, Jan 7, 2010.

1. josh112990

josh112990 Well-Known Member

I was doing some reading on java moss and it said that java moss could be used in a vivarium i was just wondering how thats could be accomplished? and if there is any special care needed to keep this alive and any pictures would be apperciated and just want to say thanks in advance for any support.

2. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Java Moss is actually an aquatic plant, but you can grow it pretty well terrestrially as long as you've got it in a substrate that you keep constantly damp. Um, they do pretty good under dim lights and can withstand high temps, but do best in the mid 70's

3. josh112990

it would be going in a planted vivarium for tree frogs so i could keep it as wet as i needed to because the plants are in pots with no holes in the bottom so i could even fill the bottom of the tank with a little water if i had to

4. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

That sounds like it should be fine, but I'd make sure the pots *do* have holes in the bottom to make sure they're well drained. I think the plant's roots will start to rot otherwise.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Java moss does best when kept very wet if you have a water fall or water area in your frog tank it would be best to place it near this area. If you have a very wet tank you still need drainage. I've found that mounted plants do best in tanks that are always wet. Most plants that would be planted in the gound die rather quickly under too wet conditions. Though a few sump plants thrive in wet areas such as Pitcher plants of north america.

6. josh112990

backgrounds8.jpg
    this is what i am trying to achieve i think it is doable and the moss used is labled java moss and i have that i just need to know how to get it to do this lol

Attached Files: