This Disappears When Logged In

Jasper's enclosure and progress

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by BrownFoundling, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

image.jpg It has been sixteen days since I brought Jasper home. She seems to be doing pretty well so far. I have held her a couple of times for a minute or two each time and she did not seem to be too jumpy about it, nor was she frozen in fright. I need to start monitoring her weight as I haven't seen but one spot of poop. However she does like to hide herself deep within the foliage of some of her plants so there may well be droppings there that I can't see. image.jpg

She has been getting out and exploring her tank and I think I have figured out a balance between dark enough that she is comfortable coming out and bright enough that I can watch her. I have a 40 watt incandescent bulb in a clamp light over her enclosure. During the day I have it pointing down so that the plants get light. In the afternoon/evening I turn it so it is pointing up at the shelf over Jasper's enclosure and so much less light actually falls inside of it. It gives it a deep dusk feel.

Humidity had been a problem. Too much humidity that is. I had clear plexiglass on one half of the tank and corregated plastic on the other half with small holes punched along the edges about an inch in from the edge. That did not give enough ventilation even with leaving one side open 10-15 minutes a day and no misting. I have since cut out along those holes and hot glued a mesh fabric across the opening. Now instead of a constant 97-99% humidity I am getting 60-65% before misting. I have also added quite a few branches crisscrossing madly. I had to take the dracaena out because it was not getting enough light and was dropping leaves at an alarming rate. Most of the small twiggy ends of the branches are on the end of the tank where it was. The money tree on the other end is doing just fine so she has vertical climbing space on that end too. I hope with more climbing things I will see her more frequently. image.jpg image.jpg

2. BrownFoundling

I just went to look in on Jasper again and when I spotted her she was looking up at me from one of her CGD dishes (in the pot of the bird's nest fern). What a relief! Now I know for sure that she is eating.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice setup. I would expect as your substrate equalizes with the room humidity that you will need to close it off again.
    This is just a question as I know very little of these popular guys. But do they spend most of their lives under canopies out of direct light?
    Just curious as I see you only have the one light there for heat.

4. BrownFoundling

Actually the light is primarily there for the plants as cresties prefer rather temperate temps. It only raises the temperature a couple degrees from my room temperature. They are nocturnal and spend the day nestled into tiny places in the foliage or nooks in the branches. So they do get some light exposure, just during their sleeping time.

For now I am not using any substrate. My room humidity is in the low 30s but the plants really help boost the humidity for her. I eventually want to make her enclosure into a fully planted terrarium like I have for my brown anole, but I need to make sure that the lighting is going to work for these plants long term. Also having a bare floor theoretically makes it easier to spot poop so that I know that she is eating. Newspaper or paper towels would do the same thing, but with all of the branches and pots it would be a nightmare to try to get it in there without taking everything out.

arojas7112 likes this.
  5. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Just be warned, she won't fit on those branches forever! :) It looks awesome though.

6. BrownFoundling

I fully expect to update things as she grows. These were convienient branches from my yard. The one that she is on in the pictures is the second largest in diameter in the enclosure and reaches nearly from one end to the other.

7. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Just making sure. It looks amazing! Very spoiled hehe

8. BrownFoundling

I tend to do that, I find. Folks talk about them needing more height than horizontal space but I figured that she would happily use the space of four of the 12x12x18 Exoterra habitats that are often recommended. My single brown anole is in a 28 gallon bow front aquarium with a fully planted bioactive substrate. I figure if I can come up with the space, they will use it.

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  9. BrownFoundling

I have been seeing enough different signs that Jasper is eating that I think I am ready to go to the next phase of her enclosure. It is time to take the plants out of their pots and make this a fully planted terrarium. I have liked the results of a bioactive substrate enough with my brown anole, Gervase, that that is what I want to do for Jasper. The invertebrates make cleaning that much easier and it is a lot easier to take care of the plants

CrazySnakeLady likes this.
  10. BrownFoundling

Well today I want to Home Depot and picked up what I needed to plant Jasper's enclosure: two bags of lava rock, a roll of fiberglass screening, and a huge bag of organic garden soil. Here is the result:
    20150210_022247.jpg
    I edited the branches to just the largest of what I had in there before because those were what she had actually been using. The hill in the back left corner will be where I plant her pothos but for now it is in the kritter keeper with her.
    I moved the cork pannel to make a semiprivate area at one end so she could hide in those plants if she wanted to avoid the evening light I will be using. Here is what it looks like with the spider plant and the little red veined thing whose identity I cannot remember: 20150210_022328.jpg This is what it looks like with the evening light I will be using:
    20150210_022506.jpg
    It is a 25 watt bulb being reflected off of the wall and shelf. I have a power strip with built in timer that will automatically switch between the daytime light and the evening one. I will manually turn off the evening light around the time i go to bed so that she has full dark for most of the night.

There is more I could say and more pictures I could share, but this is long enough already. I hope I am not boring anybody with these long winded updates, but I like having a record of what I have done and also I enjoy sharing my adventure.

11. BrownFoundling

I finally retrieved my gram scale from my ex's house and was able to weigh Jasper. As of last night she was 4.3 grams.

Also she apparently likes newborn dubias. I furnished a kritter keeper with a suction cup plant, put about six into it along with Jasper and by morning all six were gone. And yes, I checked the plant thoroughly.

12. arojas7112

arojas7112 Established Member

What a spoiled and lucky gecko! Have you had much luck determining Jasper's morph? Maybe a cream flame harly?

13. BrownFoundling

For now I have settled on yellow brindle. She really is bordering on tiger as far as the strength of the striping on her sides goes. I say for now because her coloration and exact patterning is still changing. What looks yellow now may well turn more cream. The patterning on her sides may become either more or less distinct and who knows what might happen with the patterning on her legs.

14. arojas7112

It's exciting to see them change isn't it? Only way to tell what they'll look like is if you know their parents and their genetics. Its much more exciting to me being surprised! I had a hatchling, maybe a year ago that seemed fairly patternless. As it grew, tri-colored patterns started to form as well as dalmatian spots. Its as if you have a long term christmas present! You wake up one morning and see this new patterned beautiful crestie after a shed and a couple dubias in its belly haha

15. arojas7112

10785004_742762559135562_1358338010_n_zpsx2lq4ipk.jpg

The one at the bottom is the one I was referring to on the post above.

16. BrownFoundling

Both are quite pretty. If I end up breeding I think I am going to try for ones with interesting dorsal patterns. There was a newly acquired female someone posted about recently over on the Pangea forum who's dorsal patterning made me think of intricate beadwork. I would love to see more like her around. I also happen to like dashed pinstripes. Maybe I am just strange.

17. arojas7112

I know exactly which one you're talking about. I saw your comment. I know what you mean, that kind of pattern is unique. I have one juvy thats kind of similar but not as cool! Dashed pinstripe is a beautiful morph as well! My cup of tea are the very dark cresties. Have you seen the piebald that pangea has?
    10808878_1521115574795450_153317071_n_zps1y5dguqz.jpg
    Here's my favorite crestie...
    10593418_430087270463799_81440763_n_zps0zwapyez.jpg

18. BrownFoundling

The olive with the orange tipped crests looks quite dramatic and that dorsal patterning on the juvie is really nice. I haven't seen pictures of very many olives. I have seen the piebald, but I'm not highly enamored of it. Although that sort of patterning might grow on me if I see more of it. I like high contrast markings but as an artist I prefer rhythm to random.

19. arojas7112

The olive is my favorite. The contrast between the orange crests and dark body knocks me off my feet! I am highly enamored by the piebald haha simply because one its beautiful and its something new to the crested gecko world that makes it that much more exciting! Have you also seen the axanthic crested gecko that came from the UK? Also beautiful. What kind of art do you create?

20. BrownFoundling

I am a small scale sculptor working in polymer clay, I typically make jewelry pieces. Here are some examples of my work.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg