This Disappears When Logged In

Jacket's Jungle Gym

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Flint, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Hey All!!

First, some pics :)

gymfun.jpg

[​IMG]

Jacket having some fun on my shelving unit :)

So all his playtime last night gave me an idea. I want to build him a PVC "tree" that I may mount to my wall or have it on some sort of base. Then I want to run heat wire through the PVC so I don't need to worry about him getting too cold in my room. I'm planning on using this heat wire:

Repti Heat Cable

It says on there it can be wrapped around the branches, but I'm a little concerned about him being in direct contact with it. I guess a rheostat could fix that. Do you guys think it should be routed inside the PVC or wrapped around it? I'm planning on using 1.5-2.5 inch thick PVC. Also, will I need to worry about any fumes given off by the PVC? I don't know how PVC reacts to heat.

Any suggestions on cable placement or interesting PVC arrangements for a JCP would be welcome :)

Attached Files:

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I know a lot of people use PVC in enclosures, so it must be able to stand some heat. I would either run the heat wire through the pvc, or have some kind of cover to protect the snake from it!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very interesting idea! Look forward to what you come up with:D

4. justor

justor Elite Member

I got an idea that I plan to use in the future from another forum. It involves using PVC with a heat cable inside it as a substrate heater. It's supposed to work very well for heating a tortoise table or other enclosures which have a good amount of substrate. So I suppose it's safe to keep the PVC heated from the inside.

Sounds like a great idea you have there!

5. mld

It should be safe, since it's use for plumbing and hot water!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Come to think of it, there is (or was) an article on here using heat cable and a plastic hose to heat something, or keep the cable from getting moist.

7. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I use that same cable in my dubia tub about 3 inches from the bottom and I spritz the tub once every three days and it keeps their temps right where there supposed to be. The plastic serilite tub is warm where the cable is but it doesnt melt and the little spritzing I do doesnt seem to effect it at all but I would say put it inside the PVC with a rheostat it should keep the "branches" nice and warm for Jacket. You may want it touching the PVC though because heat doesnt really radiate from the cables very far. I would play with the idea for a bit but it sounds like heaven to your snake.

8. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Yeah one idea I had was to drill 2 holes in the pvc close to eachother. then once i get the wire running through the PVC, ill put a zip-tie or wire-tie through one drilled hole, around the heat wire, and through the other hole. then i tie it off and it will hold the heat cable against the PVC on the inside. that way I can keep it touching the PVC where I want it. I'll pin it to the top side, since that is what Jacket will be touching most. and i've got my temp gun to help me set the rheostat properly. looks like theres some old PVC in the garage here, i might get this going pretty soon :)

9. mld

What about using it like they do when doing in-floor heating under tile, the cement or sand will hold the heat well.

10. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Sorry Michele I'm not sure I know what you mean. how would I use cement or sand in this application? filling the PVC pipes with it? that would be really heavy. I'm planning on mounting this on the wall with a few screws above my desk so he can be close to me while im on the computer and get used to me. this is part for his exercise and enjoyment, part acclimating him to my presence and getting him more comfortable with me.

11. mld

Yes, it would be heavy!

12. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Got it built this morning!

newtoyn.jpg

Jacket's new toy!

[​IMG]

Right next to my desk. I'm hoping with him able to keep an eye on me from up above he will be begin to relax in my presence.

[​IMG]

I've got his cage open next to him, so he can go back if he wants. He seems to like it so far :)

[​IMG]

The view from my desk haha

Well I think this will work so far. I'll need to wait a few weeks before I can order the heat cable. Routing that will be pretty simple, just a few screws to undo. Also I ended up using 1.5 inch electrical conduit instead of PVC. I think that will do better with the heat cable inside. It's also what was laying around in the pile of scrap pipes lol.

Attached Files:

13. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Sweet job! Now the hard part will be to not forget about him when you leave your room!

14. mld

Great job, looks like Jacket is one happy camper!