This Disappears When Logged In

Itty Opening His Mouth ?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by zippy2013, Jul 20, 2013.

1. zippy2013

zippy2013 Subscribed User Premium Member

I used magazine instead of newspaper. (I don't have ne news papers but have a ton of unwanted magazines) only problem is limited on tape so I decided to just put the actual magazines on the sides of the tank :p

2. zippy2013

just a quick update on Itty. He's still doing fine. I let him out in my bedroom yesterday and he climbed to the top of my curtains and looked at me wondering how to get down lol was cute.
    He's not running around as much as he once was. Vet called me yesterday asking how he was doing. If there was any concerns. Told her that Itty was once every couple of days have a bloody stool movement. She said "Not to worry" I asked is there any reason to not worry. She explained that he has a lot of parasites in him so she concludes that its just more of them going through. So im hoping shes right.

I cant wait for him to be able to get back into his bigger cage. Poor lil guy cant swim cant climb as much.

oh and another note he's not eating like he was a week ago.. which is starting to worry me too.. He wont go after anything else atm besides mealworms. Ive tried the supers (toobig for him) crickets don't fascinate him, Cant put the rosies in his cage its too small. 3 weeks cant come anyfaster...

3. AParkin

AParkin Elite Member

You can still add a couple rosies. They will live 3-4 days even in a fairly small bowl of water.

4. zippy2013

I would do that. but I have to disinfect everything once a day as it is. Its part of the "healing process" that hes doing for the next 4 weeks.

Also I was wondering. Itty is turning all white. but still active as ever. Would this be because he's shedding or can the humidity be to high ? Ive heard it could be one of the two but not sure what it is ?

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Shedding more than likely. What is his humidity set at?

6. zippy2013

Thats good news. Itty hasn't shed yet. so this is great news :p

His humidity is always between 65-85% .

I have a fogger set on low for during the day when the lamps are on and at night its turned off since it goes up to 100% without the lights.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

try to keep it a little lower at about 65-78% having it above 80% for extended periods of time can cause issues.

8. zippy2013

okay sounds great! thankyou will do.
    Will post up pictures when I get home for work :p

9. zippy2013

i6en.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.com
    that's a close profile picture that I have of him

5sw3.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.com

this is whole back side xpci.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.com - the tail :p

called the vet as well. She said nothing with the parasites could do anything to harm his skin that way that more then likely, like what u guys had said was he's just shedding.
    He's getting bigger and learning he can climb on my curtains now lol.

Edit: and I forgot to mention he's not opening his mouth as much like he was! I hope that's a good sign. Hope the infection he had in his lungs is going away :)

Attached Files:

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

have you bathed him? Anything else in his cage look more white than normal? Did you dust his insects too much and it got on him?

That isnt normal preshed look. It is too dry and dusty looking. My guess is some sort of fungal infections maybe...Either way you should see if your vet will get a scraping of it and test it.

11. zippy2013

when I got home he wasn't nearly as bad as that today. and yes im bathing him but I think his mealworms did get too dusted. I saw claw marks throughout the reptile carpet today lol. He's still white but like I said not nearly as bad. I even took him outside in his bathing bowl so he could get some natural rays while bathing. Picked him up and started to stroke his body and most of the white was just coming off. still on his tail though.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

when he dries does it come back?

13. zippy2013

only on his tail. im working on trying to rub off the stuff. but he has 3 notches in his tail from petsmart and when I rub over them he freaks out :/

14. zippy2013

OK so 1 more week til Itty's check up. the white stuff is gone off of his body thank goodness. just the left over of his meds that gets stuck on his nose . Only problem now is he doesn't seem interested in eating :/ Been trying to get him to eat anything. Don't have access to fish at the moment. Asked the fiancé to pick up some new worms and he forgot -.- not able to go back to town for the week... so going to make best of the mealworms as I can.. But other than that hes running around climbing vines basking soaking in his water dish. (last 2 weeks ive literally just been watching him making sure he is okay) SO I think he's alright but still kinda worried.

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

could you order some hornworms or phoenix worms online and get them shipped to you?
    If not try offering the bugs in a different way. If you offer them in a bowl then just dump them in the cage to run around.
    Or go outside and see if you can find earthworms-if you dont use pesticides that is.

16. zippy2013

Well I live ina fly fishing town . Could I buy earthworms from stores and be okay ? or would it be worry some that the companies use pesticides ?

I would be afraid that hornworms or phoenix worms would be to big for his head.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

phoenix worms are tiny! smaller than waxworms. Hornworms may get too big too fast.
    Yes you can just buy worms from the store and be fine. I buy my earthworms from walmart.

18. zippy2013

oh ok. I went to Feedersource.com and order some phoenix worms and crickets too.
    Hopefully they'll come in sooner then later

19. zippy2013

Im completely confused about this light thing. I went from a coil uvb bulb to a tube fluorescent bulb from zilla with this description

(Zilla Tropical Series T8 18 inch Bulb 15W Standard terrarium bulbs can't deliver the heightened levels of UVB radiation native to a tropical habitat, leaving rainforest reptiles deficient in a vital component of healthy bone development. Tropical 25 Bulbs correct this deficiency with a full dosage of UVB (25 microwatts per second/cm2) along with essential UVA light. As a bonus, Tropical 25's full-spectrum visible light output helps bring out subtle colors in a reptile's skin that makes everyday viewing more dramatic. Tropical 25 capability is built into R-Zilla's complete family of high efficiency bulbs for most types of fluorescent fixtures (compact, T5 and T8.) Incandescent bulb users also have the option of a Coil Bulb that fits a standard light socket. Tropical 25 bulbs are designed for 3500 hours or twelve full months of average use.Size-15 watt 18 inch T8Dimensions- L19.75 in W 2.00 in H 1.37 in )

is this correct ? or did I totally just waste my money... again.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes that is fine to use.