This Disappears When Logged In

Itty Bitty Bugs in Moss

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Kazooguyz2, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

I have recently added some reconstituted moss to my FBt and Tree frog enclosures (about 2-3 wks ago). I have JUST noticed (about 6 hours ago) itty bitty little bugs (knats?) Not sure if they came in the moss or with something else. Are they harmful to the frogs/toads or just an eye sore to me? If I need to get rid of them, HOW!?

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Re: Itty Bitty Bugs in Moss?

Could you be more specific when describing what they look like? There are a lot of itty-bitty bugs out there. My first guess would be fungus gnats or springtails though. What color are they? Can they fly? How big are they?

3. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

they are so small all I can say is they are white and seem to crawl around. Not fly but able to "jump" on the water (similar to water bugs on ponds). Haven't seen any actually IN the water just on top. Noticed them feeding on a dead cricket, though.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like the ones I have in my monitor enclosures. Handy little guys. I could only narrow mine down to a form of Springtails. Not exactly positive on which though. They are great for breaking down waste and other organic matter. Usually they are more prolific in the damp areas.

5. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Are they beneficial? or should I try to get rid of them. Should I let the moss dry out completely? I try to mist the tanks at least once a day, maybe more. The ambient humidity is about 65-70 percent in all my tanks. Started misting, thinking the frogs would like it. Now I see these bugs, YUK!

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

They are springtails. They're completely harmless and thrive in moist habitats. I had them in my old lizard habitat, but it was a naturalistic habitat, so I left them. They seemed to gather around poo. They're also a great indicator in millipede habitats. Since millipedes share the same habitat as springtails, if your habitat attracts springtails, you know it's perfect for your millipede ;)

But if you want to get rid of them, you may have to seriously dry out the substrate and clean out the habitat. Possibly even start over with all new substrate. They can be persistent.

7. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

As long as they are beneficial and not a bother to the frogs/toads, I think I'll let them be. Thank you to all that have answered by questions regarding this most current issue. (Though I'm not exactly thrilled about them) Oh well, I must be doing something right if I have them :) :p :D :cool:

8. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Hey, just think , your setup is that much more natural...

9. kriminaal

Like Matt said if you get too many you can remove some of the damp soil and dry the enclosure for a few days. It seems to cut down on the numbers. I like having them around but don't want to have them in too huge of numbers either.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

beneficial. Keep them in there unless the numbers become too much.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I had them in my BP's moss box. Now I wet the moss and heat it up in the microwave before using it. I also buy sterilized soil in brick form and that has gotten rid of them.
    My husband is happy to have them in the live plants in his chondro terrariums, he said they're beneficial --they eat the mold. His terrariums are more humid than mine and he hasn't had a problem with mold since they've been in there.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Look at it this way. Since they are determined to be harmless the frogs will likely eat them. They have a self renewing snackbar!

13. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Ha ha!! Never quite thought of it that way!!

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

actually, unless you have darts, they won't get eaten. My WTF want NOTHING to do with them. Far too small to be considered a snack.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just shows what I DON"T know about frogs!

16. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Besides removing all the moss and really drying out the whole viv, is there another way to control the population? I have seen several things at the local pet store(s) that, they say, will work and use themselves, BUT with all the idiots working at several nationwide shops, I'm kinda leary.

17. kriminaal

You shouldn't have to dry out the whole enclosure. Usually they amass in damp areas under logs and such. Remove some of these for a bit and even scoop out a pile of them. It should help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.