This Disappears When Logged In

It's official

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by kenman1963, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Well folks,,,,I recieved word today that this friday is my first Herp awareness lecture in the local school system here in Va. I'm a little nervous but so excited. I can't wait to see the little ones (2nd graders). I just wanted to say a big thanks to Jay for all of his help and support,,,,,,Thanks Jay...

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats Ken, that is so exciting. Let us know how it goes.

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Great news ken, congrats, will there be plenty of pictures :D

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Thanks guys,,,,,the wife is assisting, snapping pics and video taping

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Wow that's great news Ken! I would really like to do something like that, however our schools seem a little more reserved when it comes to taking reptiles in for educational talks. When I was younger I used to take my first snake, Oscar, in on show-and-tell days, and everyone loved him, and hopefully learned something about them, but the teachers I ask now don't want them anywhere near. I will have to look into it more..

Good luck with your first talk! I'm sure it will go well, and don't be nervous, kids are much better listeners than adults, and will love what you have to tell them :) Can't wait to hear all about it, and see those pics :)

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Thanks Rachel for the confidence booster, I'm so excited about this I really don't think I'll be sleeping much for the next couple of days,,,LOL

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Exciting stuff, Ken. You'll be fine, just keep it upbeat and simple. And be prepared for 100 8 year olds going "This one time, my uncle caught a cobra in the kitchen, while alien talking alligators were cooking breakfast". lol When I do a question and answer period at the end of the talk it's inevitable that you get more stories of the strange than questions.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I kind of expected some stories to be told....LOL. But thank you again Jay for everything, It was your work in herp awareness with kids that inspired me to do this here and it's always best for the little ones to know now how bebeficial our scaley friends are while there young. Thanks again my friend.

9. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

good luck i know you`ll do alright,we are trying to get our herp to my sons school. they had to give out permission slips out, and we are waitting to hear back.

10. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Way too COOL!

Ken,
    That is SOOO cool. I work with kids 4-5 nights a week (Very involved Scout Leader) and kids are just great, especially that age. I can just see it now, all their eyes, very wide open and fixed in on the Herp in your hand, just waiting for a chance to touch or hold one. Funny I read this tonight, as I had a den meeting tonite with 12, 8-9 year olds and I was trying to convince the parents to holding a meeting here ...at my house ... with the 4 Iguanas, Cal. King snake, Tarantula, Bearded Dragons, Geckos, Uramastics (sic), parakeets, cat, 4 dogs, fish, rats, and god knows what else (7 kids of my own in this mess somewhere)... and the parents all looked at me and said ... NOT ME! Go figure! You will do great!! Kids are nice critics!

Steven :)

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Very awesome! You'll do great!

12. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

So exciting

That's so great Ken! I'm sure it will be wonderful. Kids are so curious and have so many fewer hang-ups and fears than adults... hopefully with more "Herp Awareness" like yours in the schools, some of these phobias can be prevented.
    I can't wait to hear how it all turns out.
    I wish I could see it!! :D

You'll do great! Interest and excitement are contagious, so if you just show how great you think they are, you'll get everyone interested... maybe even an adult or two! ;)

13. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Just wanted to throw a last minute "Good luck Ken" to you!!
    Have a great time.

14. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Good luck

Sorry Im late with this post!I hope you have a great time! Cant wait to hear how it went! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.