This Disappears When Logged In

It's Finally Finished!

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Merlin, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

And do you mind sharing how much you spent? It looks great, and seems simple enough that a non-carpenter such as myself could do it and afford it! Mike (the boyfriend) is probably going to have a boa in the house before we know it, so we may need to get crackin' on a nice big enclosure. Maggie looks great, too!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I intend to write up and post a detailed step by step of how I did it but I probably have $75 in the wood and glass. The stain, sealer and electrics will probably be around that too so roughly $150 total. But thats just from memory.

3. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

She looks pretty durn happy to me! Great job Merlin! :D

4. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

That is very nice. Is that Plexiglass or real glass there? Im debating building a enclosure for my boa instead of using the 75 gallon tank i have. just curious.

5. Merlin

Thats real glass. 1/4 inch plate. I built the door frame including a recess for the glass to sit in and had it custom cut.

6. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Thanks. Im not positive which i'd use, but i personaly like the idea of real glass. Just curious, is real glass cheaper then plexi, or more expensive? The plexiglass at home depot just seems way expensive and usualy too thin.

7. Merlin

The peice I used cost me about 27 bucks.

8. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Wow, i think that about ends the debate with glass or plexi. thats cut to size, or before you got it cut? Sorry bout the 1000 questions, but im really leaning towards a wood with glass front enclosure, like to get the details hammered out before i jump into something like this.

9. Merlin

No problem. Thats why we are here. Its a lot simpler and alot cheaper to do it right the first time. I just gave them the very specific measurements and they cut it to the perfect size. The cost was for the finished peice.

10. Merlin

And that was for a peice approx 13 1/2 x 47 inches.

11. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

how much did the whole thing cost merlin!?ill pay you to make me a about 4 or 7 !:D lol

12. Merlin

LOL It would probably cost more to ship it to Florida that it would to build it!

13. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

I love it. Maggie's tank is very similar to Roxy's. Roxy's heat comes from a hole on top of the tank so there is no contact but mabe part of my problem is not bringing it down enough. I'll know more when I get more thermometers. I like your opening as well. It looks like you can open completely fromt bottom to top. Roxy's cage is a slider in front; from left to right. What do you think about the carpeting I am using? Is it sufficient? It makes for easy cleanup but Maggie looks happy with her bedding.

14. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

i dont care merlin!!!! my boyfriend cant build crap!lol

last thing he built was a stand for our day gecko's...the stand looks like something homer simpson would build..nails sticking out random peices of wood etc lol

15. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

lol, hey, my opinion, if it works, and you didnt have to pay for it, you really can't knock it...
    but really, tell your boyfriend screws are usualy easier then nails if he decides to do it again.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

904- go to your local high school wood shop, there is usually a kid or two who has nothing to make. That's a good bet, and hopefully your boyfriend wouldn't be offended.

17. Merlin

I chose to put the Ceramic Heat Emitter completely inside for 2 reasons. One is that the enclosure is a sealed unit, so all the heat is contained in the enclosure as opposed to a dome sitting on top which lets some of the heat radiate off into the room. This is a more economical use of the electricity.
    It is thermostatically controlled by the way.
    The second is there are more enclosures in the planning which will sit on top of this one and I didn't want to waste the vertical space with almost a foot of fixture sticking out of the top.
    Yes the entire front will open up and swing downward. In fact if the cage wasn't on the foor the door will hang vertically straight up and down.
    Having had to wrestle a snake of that size, who wasn't quite ready to go back into the enclosure,:rolleyes: thru a small opening I wanted as much room as possible. And it was much simpler to construct than a sliding set up.
    Any working substrate is fine as long as it is safe for the snake. I prefer Aspen since it is cheap, readily available, and loooks nicer then just paper alone. I have sheets of newspaper under the aspen to facilitate cleaning but Maggie has discovered how to get under them and seems to have become a gopher!! I hardly see her except in the evening unless I dig her out to check on her!

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

it looks fantastic, i would love to see a more in depth "how to" on this as well, since i am also a "homer simspon". Last time i built something was about 4 years ago and it was a dvd case that got smaller on one side and couldn't fit a dvd into lol. But again, i actually have a little more knowledge and patients now than i did then..

19. jessicaparkscars

jessicaparkscars Active Member

wow i love the enclosure as well as maggie....

20. prismwolf

prismwolf Well Established Member

I'm glad I read the whole thread before commenting. It has the look of future additions...;). That looks REALLY nice, Merlin!

As for those not handy with tools - most high schools are looking for projects and as long as you provide the materials - they will build just about anything. I haven't used our high school yet...but I HAVE asked them if it's something they would consider. I was met with an enthusiastic "YES!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.