This Disappears When Logged In

ISO: Morelia Amethystina

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Slyther, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slyther

Slyther Subscribed User

Hey, all. I was wondering if anybody out there knows where I can find husbandry info on the Amethystine Python? I live in central Oregon, which might as well be the dark side of the moon when it comes to herps. I plan on getting the animal itself only after I've studied it's requirements. I've heard care is similar to that of the carpets (they're just bigger!). And just out of idle curiosity: Is there anyone who can confirm or dispel a rumour I've heard that one of these snakes caught in Australia holds a confirmed lenght record for any snake, nearly 27 ft. Supposedly, it was caught on the Cape York Penninsula back in the 40's (?). Just curious, Dave.

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Have you tried typing the Latin or common name into a search engine like google? At first search I came up with several pages, though without doing a thorough search I don't know how much help they would be to you.

I can't confirm or dispel the 1940s finding, although I've never heard of it myself. These findings are often true with the addition of "chinese whispers" along the way, e.g. a snake that was caught measured 15ft becomes a snake that was 27ft years down the line. That's not to say that this is the case in this circumstance, I guess more thorough research would be required to try and find out if this is indeed true.

I thought I had an article saved from our magazine on amethystines somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps I was imagining it!:D But I'll take a look and let you know if I come up with anything of use.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

I have tried to search also, I believe it is also known as a Scrub Python if that helps any...I will keep looking.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Aha I knew I had an article stored somewhere! One of our contributors just wrote us a piece for the next issue of the magazine. :D

If you like I can email you a copy? PM me your email address and I'll send it straight through.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Post it here Rach! We can have the "scoop" then! LOL

6. venus

venus Founding Member

7. Bitis Gabonica

LOL you want me to post a whole article?! I don't know if I have the rights to do that!:D

8. Slyther

Slyther Subscribed User

Thanks, everybody. I'll look into your tips. Regarding the 27ft A.P: I heard it was even mentioned on an episode of "The Crocodile Hunter". I didn't see it myself, not really a Steve Irwin fan.

9. luxie

luxie New Member

Hi Slyther,
    I was lucky enough to have a play with a friends pair of yearling Scrubbies on the weekend and I must say I have fallen in love with them. They are by far the most amazing python I have ever seen so I am currently in the process of saving for one :D

In regards to them being like the other carpets only bigger, I found (and I am only speaking from personal opinion here) that they are very different not only in looks but also in temperament... scrubbies here certainly do not have the reputation of being gentle giants (quite the opposite in fact) and even when they are at a manageable size they can be a lot more difficult to handle than a carpet python of the same size. I have also heard (but this might be nothing more than idle gossip) that there was even a herper here in Australia that was killed by his own pet scrubby not so long ago (i'll look into it and see if I can find out if that is true or not) but either way Scrubbies are definately not an animal to be messed with and are best to be treated like a ven (e.g extreame safety procedures followed at all times, take no chances... etc.).

In regards to information about them there is an article on smuggled.com, it's is about a lot of the larger Australian Pythons and does include a section on the Scrubby. http://www.smuggled.com/auspyt3.htm

Also Scrubbies have recently been reclassified from Morelia Amethystina to Morelia Kinghorni, I have also read a few articles (including the one above) that refer to them as Liasis Kinghorni though I an not sure how correct that is.

Hope that help.

Cheers,
    Misky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.