This Disappears When Logged In

Isn't it cute?!

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by jacky, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

It's called a collard lizard - Donna has one called Ozzy yes, that our strapping Leo and Piper produced :p (We have his sister, Roo).. they are adorable little things - very sweet picture. :)

3. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Yes jacky, he is a collared lizard, heres a pic of ozzy, my little man :D

[​IMG]

4. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

LOl Rach you got in before me, havent seen any pics of Roo for a while, when you going to take some, pretty pleaseeeeeeeeee :D

5. Bitis Gabonica

Haha, unfortunately the camera battery is dead, but i will get some recent shots when i charge it. But if you follow this thread Jacky, you can see how cute Ozzy's sister is :p Roo pics

6. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Very nice pic Donna,thanks! So the one I showed you must really be a baby!

That is soo cute,thanks Bitis!

7. Bitis Gabonica

Yep looks like a baby to me Jacky. :)

Also, notice the green colouration, similar to Donna's Ozzy - sign of a male.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Awe, Ozzy is soooooooo cute, I want one.

9. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

You all need to come and visit me this Summer and we can go catch some ;)

10. Bitis Gabonica

No Brian.. they all need to come visit me this summer and buy my babies!! :D

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

they're both adorable pics. :D

12. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

What Rach, are they having babies again?

I wont be able to visit lol, I wont be able to resist, omg another little Ozzy, cute, handsom, cuddly, gorgeous and irresistable :)

13. IggieZ.

IggieZ. Elite Member

They are so cute! This may sound dumb... but do they have a long tail?
    I don't recall seeing one of these before, maybe I've been sheltered too long.
    But I sure think they are cute, wouldn't mind having one.
    Can you hold them and take them places with you ? Like a Iguana or snake?

14. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Yes IggieZ they do have quite a longish tail, but they themselves dont get very big, no where near as big as your iggy, they dont even get as big as a BD.

I let Ozzy roam around my room and he sometimes sits on my shoulder, but I wouldnt trust him anywhere else, they are fast little runners, run on their hind legs like a Raptor, they are like a mini Raptor really, but they lare funny and cute, Ozzy has me laughing all the time.

I hear the wild one's are nasty little buggers, but living over here in the UK, I will never get to see a wild one, only from pics people post on here.

They are a joy to keep, especially if as tame as my Ozzy, he is sooo good.

15. Bitis Gabonica

IggieZ - collards get around 12" in total length, with around half of that being their tail. Their tails are very long!. They are fairly small lizards but like more room than some other lizards that are a similar size, and if allowed enough room will run on their hind legs :p They can become very tame, however i wouldn't take one out as they can tend to lure you into a false sense of security and then make a run for it :p Our adult male is still pretty flighty, although we have only had our adult pair for about a year and a half so i suspect that whoever owned them before us didn't handle them much. The female is much calmer and our juv. Roo is very tame, like Donna's Ozzy, suggesting that if you spend enough time with them from being young they can calm down quite a bit.

Donna, haha nope not having babies yet (unfortunately) :D -Piper is just beginning to realise that it's actually Spring though, and both have put on lots of weight, so hopefully they'll be reproducing again soon. It's such a shame that they can't be sexed from hatching, like beardies, or we could bring you a little girl over for Ozzy when we next have babies! :p (You know you want one!!)

16. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Haha, yes I would want one, you certainly know how to tease a good buddy :D

I would love a mate for Ozzy, I could call her Sharon LMAO...

17. Bitis Gabonica

LOL well then you would need a Jack and a Kelly :p

(Joe, I think we'd better set the whole next clutch aside for Donna :D ) ;)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes and they will bite the tar out of you! And once they get up on their hind legs those guys are FAST!
    A funny thing about them is according to folklore they are highly venomous! They are known locally as Mountain Boomers. I was working with the Boy Scouts and on a hike I caught one. In true collared fashion he immediately latched on to me and all the kids were freaking out! After disengaging it from my hand I took it on into camp to show the rest of the boys. They came running up to see. The scoutmaster took one look at the lizard and says "Boys what he has there is a Mountain Boomer and it's deadly poison!"
    Man did those kids scatter!!!!!!!
    Of course he was yanking their chain.

19. Bitis Gabonica

LOL :D Yep that venom, boy they are deadly :p

Our captive collards have never once tried to bite or shown any aggression in fact, Leo, our male, just tries to escape all the time :D

20. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I dont think ozzy knows he has teeth lol, he has never shown aggression either :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.