This Disappears When Logged In

Is Tile a Good Substitute for Reptile Carpet?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Blitz, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

My great grandma had some linoleum tile leftover from her kitchen, and I had heard that it was a safe substitute for reptile carpet. Reptile Carpet isn't very expensive, but if this is just as good, I figured I may as well use it. here is a picture of it for reference, do you think it will be ok?

[​IMG]

Yeah, this is posted twice, once here and once in General Construction, I posted it there unaware of this board. Sorry, you can delete the other one if necessary.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No worries. You are learning!
    Tile is a great substrate but if it is slick you might want to get some large flat stones so the dragon won't slide around as much.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

With linoleum you can also give it a very light sanding to make the surface a bit more abrasive. The downside is that it will eventually become stained from soiling.

4. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I thank both of you very much. Yes, Merlin, I am learning, and I appreciate any help you will give me. I intend to put some large rocks for it to climb around on, as well as some bio-vines.

Rich, I'll try sanding it tomorrow, thanks for the tip. and I don't care if it gets stained, this 20 gallon tank is only temporary. Before long, it won't be big enough, haha.

5. Merlin

That's what this site is all about! Helping each other and having a bit of fun while we are at it.

6. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

Yeah, so far it's been like you and 2 others trying to help, and most others interrogating me >.>

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

No one is interrogating. We are just making sure you have thought everything through with your enclosure. No worries.

8. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

I have heard of lots of people using tile as a substrate for beardies as it keeps the nails down and also there is no chance of Ingestion. But it's really a personal choice. I'd prefer Red Desert Sand for my beardie because I looks more natural.

9. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I'm just using it temporarily in a 20 gallon. I'm gonna use reptile carpet in the bigger tank I'm gonna build.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Sand poses an impaction risk if ingested. A non-particulate substrate is whats recommended by most people

11. Blitz

Blitz Elite Member

I heard it was ok once they were adults, but I'm not risking it either way.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Wether babies or adults any particulate substrate poses an impaction risk. That doesn't mean you will ever have an impaction, just that it could ;)

13. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

I apologize I didn't read through all this but my cage(in pics) has tile, I did lay indoor/outdoor carpet over the tile but yes in the past I've found tile works good. Easy clean up. I use the carpet to help with humidity and heat control

14. Merlin

Blitz, no one is interrogating you. If I or anyone else has a question, or something they are not certain about, they will ask you to clarify things. Tones and nuances sometimes get lost in the written post. Its one of the drawbacks to the written word. It doesn't mean that anyone is coming down on you.

15. babaloo

babaloo Member

I don't like tile for some reason. I have my leos on repti carpet. Theres something about the cold tile that seems uncomfortable to me (although I'm not the one who is going to be on it).

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

You don't have to use it. You could also have a softer something in a section that if they want they can lay on something softer.

17. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

For the tile you can also put some adhesive on it and then sprinkle sand over. It will give some nice traction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.