This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Tile Ok for Leopard Geckos

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Brennan, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes it is.

3. Ninjaguy1987

Ninjaguy1987 Elite Member

That look's pretty similar to what i bought. I've enjoyed it much nicer than using reptile carpet and a lot easier to spot clean. As far as sealing I didn't and it seems to be ok. But could some please chime in as to whether or not you should.

4. iamsam

iamsam Well-Known Member

Do you use tile instead of substrate or carpet for the whole tank? I have a reptile carpet with one slate tile right now...he seems to like the tile but I'm not sure if it's good for the whole thing since it gets hotter than the carpet. What do you think?

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

It would be like a leo laying on a rock to absorb its heat in the wild. When you use tile you do not have to seal it. It will be fine with out anything. They are no to expensive so you can buy new if you have too, or if you want a change. If you want to make the cracks worm proof, just fill them in with sand.

Yes they will get hotter than carpet, just fine tune you housing and you will be fine.

6. Ninjaguy1987

Ninjaguy1987 Elite Member

I use the tile setup and run my heatpads off a thermostat and keep the temperature right where it needs to be works just fine. Thanks moogle for answering the question about sealing the tiles.

7. Orca

Orca Elite Member

They are very cheap to buy. I got a single piece custom cut for my milk snake's enclosure to go on top of his UTH and it cost me about $2.50 at Lowes.

8. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I used that slate for almost all my enclosure (both levels). In the other area's I use smaller ceramic tile because I couldn't cut the tile to size.

The UTH's and basking light are on the same side, and all that I notice is that the tile on the warm side has a wider area that keeps the heat to where I want it. The rest cools off as it moves away from the heat source. (I've checked all the floor area with a digital temperature probe to be sure).

What I like about the tile is it keeps a nice even heat. And you can get the same effect with one piece of slate under the heat light - or above the UTH (whichever you use), and using the repti-carpet or something else for the rest of the tank. It's personal preference.

I just put paper towel on the spot where they poop, and I don't have to worry about clean up.

Nate -- what a great idea about filling in the gaps with sand. Love it!

9. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

No Sand. The risk of impaction is just too much, and a bit of a challenge won't hurt your gecko. I have tiles in both of my 29 gallon leopard gecko enclosures, and they fit fine. If you are worried about bugs hiding, you can use a little feeder bowl for worms and crickets get bored and come out from the cracks eventually.

Leopard Gecko Sand Impaction X-rays

Other than that, my leo's LOVE the tile. I don't know why I didn't put it in before I did. It conducts warmth very nicely and creates a really nice thermal gradient. I use UTHs on both enclosures and the tiles do a nice job to spread the heat.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h328/k9rose/T-Rex Jan 9/DSCF4139.jpg

This is a pic of one of my setups. It has changed a little bit since then, but as you can see, the tiles work very well in it. :)

Also, when choosing tile, make sure not to get the slippery bath wall tiles... I use one that has a rougher texture so the geckos can easily move around. :)

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi jewledrose, this thread is roughly a year old and Nate is aware of those discussions regarding the sand impaction risks. The great sand debate has been had many times over. lol

11. jewledrose

jewledrose Elite Member

:"> Oops didn't catch the date. Sorry!