This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Thermometer OK?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by MorganLeFay, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Hi,
    I'm forced to get a new thermometer for my 40gal enclosure and I came across this liquid crystal one from Exo-Terra:
    68a9af1ba3d8f7393226f1bf8beae401[1].jpg
    I'd like to know if they're reliable and OK to use, since I've never had one of those before...I've heard it's good, but I'd simply appreciate a second opinion. I don't want to waste money on sth that's inaccurate or will break down after a month.

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

No, they are garbage. Get a digital thermometer or an infrared temp gun. Both are pretty cheap ($3-$20 depending on how fancy you want it) and vastly more accurate.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's worthless. All it will measure is the temperature of the glass wall to which it is attached, not the interior of the tank. Think of touching an outside window in your house in the dead of winter. That is not the temperature in the inside of your house.
    These strips were designed around fish tanks full of water which basically becomes a solid object. In an air fill terrarium they are useless.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, thanks. Yeah, I thought they looked a bit suspicious;) Funny how some people I talked to praised them for being 'fantastically accurate' and easy to manage... Digital it is, then:)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That's because some people like them because they are cheap. Ignoring the fact that you might as well stick a piece of masking tape on the glass.

6. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Haha, yeah, I guess that's right. I was almost fooled, though, and nearly bought it, so thanks for the advice, at least now I know what to stay away from.