This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Safe?

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Brennan, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Brennan

Brennan Elite Member

I saw this background that had a cool desert feel to it and thought it was for reptiles, so when I got home I looked it up and found out it was for fish. Would it still be safe? If it was used in a bearded dragon enclosure would it get destroyed because I don't want to spend $100+ on it and have it shredded. Here it is Aquarium Backgrounds: Universal Rock Aquarium Backgrounds

2. FXL5

FXL5 Well-Known Member

Given it's for fish, it's probably safe for reptiles. They don't say "no tropical fish", and those are rather sensitive to toxins and imbalances in their water, so I'd presume it's entirely non-toxic and insoluble. Now, if they decided to bite chunks out of it and swallow, all bets are off, but I'd say it's probably safe otherwise. As to survivability...fish aren't known for their destructiveness, it's quite possibly not designed strongly enough to withstand reptiles.

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Do a search for Exo Terra rock backgrounds - you will find the same thing for reptiles at a fraction of the cost.

One search I found a 12x12 piece for $7 and they went up to 24x24 for $15. They can be cut to size as well.

4. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

You can make the same thing using great stuff or styrofoam and latex? We also incorporate driftwood.
    Gary

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yup, for you handy-dandy talented construction type folks! And you can do a great job of it, too. But for those lazy, not as handy as she used to be types (that would be ME) -- I like the Exo Terra backgrounds...:p

Actually, my Leopard Gecko tank set-up is all hand made (double decker with a GreatStuff background) - but I'm into the more.... lazy method now. :rolleyes:

6. Medium

Medium Elite Member

LOL at the lazy method...it can happen. Had a few more projects planed. Then found exactly what works...and I too went the lazy rout. Ha ha!

Nice to see a few new products lately that are worthy of buying. (Wonder what took them so long to put out some better stuff?) My home made plants turned out to be very nice usable work.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think some people also use grout, to get a more "stone like" texture.