This Disappears When Logged In

Is This Redleg?

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by dddesiree, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddesiree

dddesiree New Member

image.jpg I am so confused and sad! I purchased a White's Tree Frog yesterday at a reptile expo. He had a small lesion on his hind left leg, but otherwise seemed overall healthy and active. Maybe just slightly underweight, tho. Of course, all yesterday he hid in his new home, and I just left him be. Today, his belly looked very bloated and he was extremely lethargic. He soon died, but not before twitching all over and seeming to be trying to bite. The poor little thing's color is still very bright and pretty, but under his thighs and his feet are very red, like you can see muscle through the skin. I have an ExoTerra 18"x18"x24" tank with a waterfall in the back decor, hydro balls in the bottom with moss covering that. The humidity has stayed right around 50% and the temp in mid 70s. I have a 75w night lamp for temp regulation as my home stays in the very low 60s. I will try and post a pic of the little guy after death, but this is my first time on a forum! If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for the long winded post!

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss. Have you contacted the person you bought him from? I don't know what was wrong but he might and he might also replace the frog.

3. Courtney Cornish

Courtney Cornish New Member

Hi! I had a few frogs sadly die this way before I got the hang of things. I thought it was red leg but it turned out to be calcium deficiency. Since then I have fixed the issue and my frogs are doing very well. The symptoms were sitting with their butt in the water and staying at the bottom of the tank. Then they would become very lethargic and almost like they had no balance. They would look extremely bloated and then the last stages they would kick their legs out and it was almost like they would convulse. It was very sad to watch :( I hope this helps and I'm sorry for your loss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.