This Disappears When Logged In

Is This R.I.?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Cepherin, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Cepherin

Cepherin Member

My Dad just recently (last Sat.) decided to buy a young Irian Jaya carpet, from the Portland Metro Reptile Expo. When he first decided to hold her, she seemed really wound up, to be expected from being in such a high energy place (she even tried to strike, at my face!). Now that we've had her at home, she's been very unmoving. When I got to handle her the little bit to put her in her temporary tub, she didn't flick her tongue. When I didn't see her move for two days, I had to check on her and decided to hold her head by my ear and heard a small clicking sound and checking her mouth I could see some bubbles.

Is this a R.I.? I'm trying to convince my dad to take her to the vet.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the snake is bubbling out the nose it needs a vet NOW! ANd how are you housing it? Depending on what the temps are you may need to bring them up.

3. atone2308

atone2308 Well-Known Member

im tell you right NOW TAKE IT TO THE VET NOW! the vet will give you Enrofloxacin Suspension. will cure it within weeks, i've had to use it and worked GREAT! get the snake there NOW and take a 100dollar bill but mine was only like $60. Hope he gets the pet there!

4. atone2308

atone2308 Well-Known Member

also on that note, it prob arrived to you with an R.I seeing as though he got it from a show. But just so you can know you had nothing to with it or you did check over how your dad is housing it. temps/ substrate hides, ex... hope this helps but let your dad know the pet will die if not treated. may live for few weeks with it or even longer but you will see weight loss, no interest in feeding, and what we call a "dry shed" and that my friend in not good for owner andd worse for the pet! trust me i've been threw it and done it. some will say rise heat and vet wont be needed, i trusted that for long time and it would still come back at times but if you get to the vet the meds will take care of it and give you peace of mind to know that your snake is great! hope this helps

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temps and humidity in the enclosure? As others have said a vet visit is definitely in order. Minimize stress as much as possible by not handling him and make sure your temps are correct, if not a couple of degrees warmer then normal. What type of substrate are you using?