This Disappears When Logged In

Is There More I Can Do? Mites

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Scarlet, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlet

Scarlet Active Member

I have been battling mites since summer began. I use mite off as directed by the bottle. Take all funiture and substate out. Though out substrate (paper towl) and clean and soak furniture for an hour. Clean and soak encloser for same length for time as furniture. While soaking the encloser I rinse the snakes off in warm water to get the mites off of them that I see crawling around. Then put it all back together and start the prosses over in a week. Because that's when I see the mites again. So far it has not spread to the rest of my collection because I have the infected herps in quatine and out of the same room as the rest. I aslo handle the infected herps last and wash my hands and arms thoughlty and change my clothes just in case I have to go back and handle the other herps again.

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Instead of the Mite off, try using the Reptile Relief spray by Natural Chemistry.
    You can use that on both the enclosure as well as the animal.

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Hello. I can recommend reptile relief . It worked wonderful when my BTS Valentine had mites. Did I mention that I hate mites??!! LOL
    Try that it is great. Good luck.

5. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Black Knight 2 works wonders! There is also equate bedding spray, that is what I have personally used and I know others have, but its not widely accepted by alot. I think Merlin and I talked about it in one thread. Black Knight 2 is your best bet. Its safe for the animal and all that.

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Active Member

Is the reptile relief or black night2 easy to find? If so, where would I be able to find either ?

7. kritrdr

kritrdr Member

If you get too frustrated then I recommend a reptile savvy veterinarian. There is a combination with ivermectin diluted in water that you can use on the animal and in the environment. The concoction is dirt cheap and very safe (as long as you don't spray it directly in the eyes). I can't legally give the specifics concerning dosing online but ANY vet who has experience with reptiles SHOULD be know of this simple mixture. It works usually with in a few days as the mites can't survive on or off the snake. It works wonders for my reptile clients who are fed up with the OTC stuff.

Dan

8. Merlin

I know our local Petco carries the Reptile Relief. Or you can order it online

9. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Black Knight 2 you have to order online.

10. Scarlet

Scarlet Active Member

I think I finally got rid of the mites. When handling the snakes for the past week I have not seen any on them or in the encloser. So hopefully I finally won the battle with the mites.

11. Merlin

I would still contimue with the treatments for a bit. All it takes is one survivor to start the whole thing al over again! Mites are tuff little buggers!

12. Bigtyny

Bigtyny Active Member

Mites can live in wood for months with out blood from reptiles. If you have wood in the cage put it in the oven and bake it for a few mins. This kills mites. I do this all the time when I find something I want to put in the cages.

13. Scarlet

Scarlet Active Member

So far so good the mites are still gone. Still have them on paper towels to be sure. Also still treating them and the encloser to be extra sure. But I think I am on the winning side of the battle now.

14. Merlin

Good deal! They are a pain but you CAN get rid of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.