This Disappears When Logged In

Is she gravid?

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Ofsthun, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofsthun

Ofsthun Elite Member

I've been doing a lot of research in the little spare time I have right now but I'm trying to figure out how to tell if Maria is Gravid or not. I know it's only been a month since I put them together and I saw some action going on but I'm curious as to what the symptoms are to tell if she may be gravid or not?

Thanks Everybody

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Well, you probably wouldn't be able to tell if she was pregnant or not so early, but you may have noticed her ovulating, which means if she has been mated with she could be pregnant. When a snake ovulates her back end will become swollen, almost like when they are ready to go to the toilet :p Much further into her pregnancy she will appear the same as when she is ovulating, and she will become so swollen that her skin will appear stretched, like when they have eaten a large meal. She may also go off feeding, and may become more aggressive towards the end of her pregnancy.

Check out the common boa care sheet on this forum - it's designed specifically for common boas but many of the areas relate to other boas as well, such as the gestation period and info on breeding.

Good luck with her if she is pregnant! Fingers crossed for you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.