This Disappears When Logged In

Is She a Jungle/Coastal Cross?

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Electrophile, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

So I posted some recent pictures of post shed Sheila (looking quite lovely) on another forum and someone suggested that she was likely a jungle/coastal carpet cross. I looked up some photos of this intermediate and that's a possibility as she's not striped all the way down like most JCPs. I am now rather irritated at her breeder (Shelby Reptile Ranch out of Omaha) if this is the case because I wanted a nice "little" 6-7 footer who can stick with big breeder mice, not a 10 footer needing several big rats. :eek: She's eating 20 gram mice once a week. No worries about me ditching her or anything, but it is kinda irksome...Bitis or anyone else have an opinion or experiences with these crosses?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

What a beautiful snake! Nice pics!

Steve

3. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Hi loverly snake you have there, I would say it is most likely a cross of some kind but what percentages I wouldn't like to say, unless you know for certain that it is one or another then chances are it will have been crossed...this comes from snakes being mislabelled by both shops and breeders to make people think they are buying the mor desirable Jungle Carpet when normally they are selling crosses or Costals....the only sure fire way of getting a particular sub-spiecies is to buy from a well recognised breeder, the chances are you will pay a bit more but for a quality animal I would pay more.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What a beautiful snake :)

5. Electrophile

Yeah, she's still quite pretty and I have no desire to give her up. It's just kind of hard to know when they are hatchlings as the markings and color for both subspecies look very similiar. And it's not exactly like there is an AKC style snake registry, but that doesn't necessarily mean much either. I just hope she retains her more JCP-like size and color...

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Beautiful snake you have there, congrats on getting him/her:)

I would agree with Joe, looks like a cross to me. As Joe said, it's difficult to tell for sure, or what percentage of jungle/coastal she could be, unless you buy from a well-established and respected breeder who can show you the parentage.

We have an adult male, which we also believe to be a jungle x coastal, and have had this backed up by several breeders, however, there is no way of knowing for sure, but the markings and colouration would indicate a jungle influence, while the size resembles more a coastal (haha yes he's around 9/9.5ft and still growing!)

Whatever s/he turns out like you sure have a lovely hatchling, and good luck with her.:)

7. venus

venus Founding Member

I dont know what she is, but she is beautiful!!! :D

8. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

From the coloration (minus the bluish tint) and the pattern It looks like you have a diamond/jungle cross. I had some a couple of years ago. I know that it irks you that it's not what you thought you were getting. However.... a jungle/diamond carpet is actually worth more than a regular jungle.;)

9. Electrophile

Interesting, because she seemed a steal at $75 at the expo. The blueish tint is probably due to the fact she had just shed that night (gotta break out the cameras, of course!) and I have a blue sheer curtain in that room. I'm just slightly annoyed because I didn't want a coastal because they can (as Bitis said) get quite a bit bigger than jungles. Fortunately, seems like most of the subspecies are pretty slim snakes anyways, so hopefully it's not like wanting an 8 foot red tail boa and getting a 16 foot Burmese! I always fancied the thinner snakes myself...

10. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

same here electrophile i like big snakes also on the slim side but red tails are amazing! if its a coastal how big would they get ?if its a cross?

11. Electrophile

Jungles tend to get 5 to 8 feet and coastals get about 7 to 10 feet, though some get 13+! So I'm really hoping she doesn't get much longer than 8 feet. I wanted a jungle because of their supposed docility as adults, their striking black and gold colors, and they are not super long. A 5 foot ball python will weigh as much or more than a 7 foot jungle carpet. The coastal carpets aren't quite as bright. So I guess is the point of crossing the two to get the jungle's coloring but the coastal's size?

12. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Docility? Last year with 190 adult snakes the only one that bit me was a jungle carpet. She also bit my daughter Becca. :(

13. Electrophile

Sheila is not too awful bad now. I can pick her up off the ground usually if she's not in shed, but I have to use a coat hanger to hook her off a branch. I even used her in a demonstration for my class I teach (a biology lab for non-science undergrads) and she was well behaved. They always seem to be in strike position though...

14. Elan

Elan Elite Member

shedoesn't look like a jungle + coastal. more just looks like a jungle + jungle are a closer relative. but then again, i don't know that much about carpet breeds.

15. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

The only time I have ever worked with JCP they didn't quite look like that, so it has to be a cross. As for docile, they were considered more aggressive that the other snakes I was dealing with but I never have been bit by one yet. Good luck finding out what cross she is.

16. Andy_G

Andy_G Active Member

Unless you know the snake's ancestrial background, it's purely speculation and not fact when it comes to what your carpet is a cross of...or if it is a cross in the first place. I've seen lots of crosses that look pure, and vise versa. It looks like a cross to me. Post some pics after it gets more size and age, after the colors develop a bit it will be easier to speculate as to what it was crossed with(if it is a cross in the first place). I noticed that you said you will be using mice to feed it...I hope you have a lot of them...even an adult IJ would need about 4-5 per meal, never mind a jungle, coastal, or cross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.