This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Snapping Turtle Hypo Melanistic?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by WillyWonkasTurtleFactory, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hello all! I have a Common Snapper I caught in a local gravel quarry about 2 years back, and I have some questions about him. Ive always noticed he was colorful, but I haven't turned him upside down to look at his plastron in a good few months. I finally did yesterday, and he looks nothing like any snapper Ive seen in person before. I asked a buddy, and he said he was a hypo. Not being the MOST reputable guy, I decided to come on here and see what you guys think. I just have a hard time believing the one baby snapper Ive ever caught in that lake was a hypo. Thanks in advance~

Attached Files:

2. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

I have no idea. But he's awesome! More pictures? Is he aggressive or anything?

3. He has never attempted to bite me, but he did threaten me once. I put him on a box while I was cleaning his tank, and he walked off, falling on his face, which understandably freaked him out. When I tried to pick him up, he did the angry-open-mouth-hissing-thing. Ill get a few more pics up once I get home. Managed to get myself locked out, so this may take a bit.

4. DSC00368.jpg
    Mr.Turtle sitting in a box.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC00370.jpg
    Mr.Turtle escaping said box.

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

He could well be a hypo. Or just an unbelievablely colored turtle. Hard to say really, hypo is a highly variable trait in all species, turtles are no exception. And at the end of the day it doesn't really matter unless you plan on breeding him and trying to prove his color out as a hereditary trait.

If you're never going to breed him then shoot, call him a hypo all you want! You've got an incredible looking animal no matter what you call it!

6. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Definitely looks like a possibility, but asnwas said, no way to be certain without breeding it. Nice looking snapper anyway.