This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Rosy Boa Going into a Shed?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by NightWolf, Mar 23, 2014.

1. NightWolf

NightWolf New Member

Hello! Let me start off by saying we have recently stepped into the world of reptiles and are still fairly new to owning one. We are proud owners of an albino Rosy Boa, and have only had it for about 3 weeks now. He is an adult about 2.5 feet long and seems to be very plump and healthy. We are keeping him in about a 30-40 gallon enclosure ( L: 36in. W: 18in. H: 17 in.) and his substrate is cypress mulch. His lighting consists of a 60 watt UVB daylight and a 50 watt night light, both about 17 in. above the floor of the enclosure. The temperatures on average stay around 85 on the warm side and 80 on the cool side. The humidity is around is around 25-30% and he is happily being fed on medium sized adult mice. He is being fed once a week, and he turned down a meal for the first time last night. I noticed when I was moving him to his feeding container his eyes had gone from being red the day before, to a hazy bluish color, and has seemed to just settle down in his burrow and not be quite as active as usual. I remember reading that snakes will usually turn down a meal when going into a shed and is not something to be overly concerned about, could somebody please help verify if this is the cause of him not feeding?

Attached Files:

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

He is in shed, which would explain the meal refusal. Try providing a humid hide box to aid the process, and also try to not move him while he's in shed.

3. NightWolf

NightWolf New Member

Alrighty, I will get to it. Thank you so much your help. Your advice is much appreciated. :)

4. rimridge

rimridge Well-Known Member

Very nice. Definitely not wanting food due to shed, how ever with some they will eat anyway. you could raise your hot side by 5 degrees. Are you sure it's a male because at 2.5 feet I am assuming it to be a female.

5. NightWolf

NightWolf New Member

We're not entirely sure of it's sex, but we were told by someone with a little more experience than we do that it appears to be male, but then again we are also unsure of it's age. We have raised it's temperature a bit more though. Thanks for your advice :)