This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Corn Snake Shedding Again?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by rkeene, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkeene

rkeene Member

Just in the last three or so days my cornsnake has been in hiding. and hasn't been coming out at night as usual, I got him out this past Monday, and fed him (its been a week ) he went at it no problem, and later went back into hiding, I didn't notice any color change or eye change then. Just yesterday I noticed his piano keys underside is a lot duller just like when he shed about three to four weeks ago I think? but they look somewhat normal. Is it possible for him to shed so early or quick as he is acting like before, or do snakes hide when they are sick , I have heard on occasion like a short hiss , not very often, and he hasn't been opening his mouth, which I think I heard is a late sign, My best bet is probably the vet , using any kind of common sense, Just wanted to know what yall think, sorry for the novel Great site and people, rkeene

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A young, rapidly growing corn can shed every couple of weeks so 3 weeks is not unreasonable.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

It is possible that your cornsnake is about to shed again. They normally shed about once every 4-6 weeks until they are full grown(depending on how much you feed them, or if they are injured). The hiss is a good clue as they are very vulnerable when they are in the shedding process. Anything is a potential danger for them since they can't see very well. It is also a time when they are more sensitive to being touched.
    Snakes by nature are usually very private animals, and it is not unfathomable to notice them hiding if they are sick. Speaking of which, did you ever take him to the vet? I did not see the answer to that in your post. If not, you definitely need to get him to a reputable herp vet quickly, for a wellness check if nothing else. The vet should also be able to tell you if your snake is sick or not and what to do for him if he is sick.

4. rkeene

rkeene Member

No I haven't gotten him to the vet I get there as soon as I can , going to monitor him a few more days thanks for all the info, rkeene

5. rkeene

rkeene Member

He's definitly shedding eyes are dull and he acts like he can't see which I know of course. The thing is , It's not like he s a small snake , so I can't see how he would shed this fast, and he is in perfect skin shape , no injuries, anyway thanks for all input, check yall later rkeene

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My Ball Python will often go into an immediate shed after a big meal. I wouldn't worry about it. Leave him alone for a while. When my snakes are in shed, they often act like I feel when I have the fa bad cold: icky and irritable.
    Keep plenty of fresh water available. (Providing a moist hide with sphagnum moss is a good idea).

7. David McConley

Be sure to post some pictures whenhe finishes shedding.

8. rkeene

rkeene Member

I will and thank you , Hey McConley.!...... David what are the numbers in front of your pets represent, How many? I bet you get asked this all the time, ha ha Check ya later

Thanks BlackJack beautiful snake you have , I have wanted one for a while, a python that is. My wife freaks about one snake , just got to get her used to him more. Thank you for the input.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

You're welcome. :) And thanks for the compliment on "Monty" -- he's just a normal BP, nothing special morph-wise, but he's a real sweetie.
    btw the numbers in front of Dave's animal list are the number of males/ the number of females/ the number of undetermined sex.
    So one male and 2 female Ball Python would be written 1.2 Ball Pythons or 1.2.0 Ball Pythons.

10. David McConley

Blackjack- Thanks for answering the sex question, I was not able to get online yesterday and hope rkeene didn't think I was being rude. I relish answering questions and am always happy to explain when I can.

11. rkeene

rkeene Member

Hello McConley , Took my corn snake to vet , He has respiratory infection, got antibiotics injection every three days, vet said good shape despite infection, He also shed as soon asa I gor him home, about a month after his previous shed and the vet said it's unlikely he would shed so soon ha!, Anyway he seems to be doing better and I have to get my daughter to take some pictures and post them Thank for support check ya later rkeene

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temps you are keeping him at? Often a RI is brought on by being too cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.