This Disappears When Logged In

Is My Blue Tonge Skink Sick?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by KhantiMetta, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhantiMetta

KhantiMetta Active Member

I'vw had my skink for about 3 weeks or so now. She is about 2 years old and Tue breeder said she may be pregnant. She eats well and is a bit on the fat side. Just a little background info.

So I looked in her cage today and found this sorta gelatin-like stuff and she was trying to eat it. Of course I didn't put it in there so it could only have come from her. I have no idea what it is and I'm pretty worried. If anyone knows I would be really grateful.
    I can't post a picture at the moment but I will as soon as I can.

2. KhantiMetta

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it looks like some undigested/regurgitated food to me, what have you been feeding and can you give some details if the conditions in the enclosure (temps, humidity etc, and how you measure them plus a couple of photos of the whole tank)?

4. KhantiMetta

I can't upload pics at the moment, but I can give you the details. I feed her kitten food, usually dry and wet cat food once a week along with a grape or two or as a treat. Her tank is too small right now but I'm working on a bigger one- its about 30x12. The bedding is aspen but I'm switching to newspaper because I'm worried about her accidently eating some substrate. ......I have to stop there because she literally just started giving birth right now!!!!!!! Holy cow I didn't believe she was really pregnant!

5. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

post some pics of them babies!

6. KhantiMetta

20151101_201322.jpg
    Poor Gnaire is being such a good mama! So glad she's not sick! She's had 2 babes so far. Looks like this will take all night.

mshrmheadcharge and murrindindi like this.
  7. mimo91088

mimo91088 Elite Member

congrats. Im jealous right now.

8. KhantiMetta

Thank you :D it was such a great surprise!

9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Oh. Well that all makes sense now. That gross sausage thing was more likely than not an infertile baby. You see them somewhat often in snakes that give live birth as well. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

murrindindi likes this.
  10. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

How many babies did she end up giving birth to?

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

It's already been said, but those are "slugs" (Undeveloped ova)

Congrats on the babies!

12. Romeyrider

Romeyrider Well-Known Member

Yea! Babies! Do you have anymore pictures of them? How many did she have? When I first saw the picture it looked like a slug (undeveloped ova) to me. Now that she is having babies that's definitely what it is. She may have a few slugs and a few stillborns in her litter. I know with snakes that slugs are common in the boa species. Well not common but not a bad sign. They are perfectly normal. Congrats on the babies!

13. MentalMilkSNakes

MentalMilkSNakes Active Member

That's so cool! I want to buy one! Lol

14. Skink lover04

Skink lover04 Member

I wouldn't use newspaper the ink can rub off on their scales

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Newspaper is fine to use.

And you have been replying to threads that are a couple of years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.