This Disappears When Logged In

is it true

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by SKULLMAN, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

do they make a thermostat for inside a tank?a buddy of mine said they make that is like a timer turns the heat on and off when needed i cant find any thing like this around.

2. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

yeah its called a rheostat they have them at petsmart n alot of other pet supply places

3. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

Reostat allows you to incrementally adjust temp up and down, but you need a timer as well, if you want it done automatically.

4. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

so it does not work automaticly like a thermostat in your house for the heat

5. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

6. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

thanks toadie just what i needed you are my hero :D

7. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

no problem, let me know how it works im thinkin of possibly getting one

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The Zoo Med Repti temp 500 is what controls my large iguana enclosure and it works just fine. Be sure and plug it into a surge protector like you do your computer. A powerspike can kill it. You will still need a good thermometer to set the temp and monitor it but once set its pretty reliable.
    A rheostat will only work to turn the heat up and down like a high/low switch it won't vary the temp so if the room temp increases so does the temp in the cage.

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Is the Zoo Med Repti Temp 500 ok for use in smaller enclosures too? Will it work properly in a more confined environment? The description at PetsMart.com says ideal for 40 gallons or larger....is there another one designed for use in smaller tanks (a 10 gallon and a 30 long)? If so, I haven't been able to find it anywhere online...

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I can't add anything to the discussion but Skullman I LOVE your Avatar pic!!

11. Merlin

I see no reason it couldn't. The 500 indicates it will handle up to 500 watts.
    It has 2 outlets so it will handle more than one heating device but it only has one temp sensor.
    With no more heat than you will need for the cornsnake it is a bit of overkill. I use them on my Ig cage and python tank for the che's. The corns and kings are adjusted manually. The human type pads I use have 3 heat settings. You can also go with a light dimmer switch if you are handy about wiring things. This too will only turn it up or down manually.

12. Mark

Mark Elite Member

After I post I read that this is for a cornsnake, I was thinking about a tropical animal.

A thrermostat will work for a cage of any size. I suggest you spend a little more and get the one with the probe if you spring for one.

The probe gives you about a meter of wire from where you measure the temp to where the actual electrical connections are made.

I have an Alife thermostat with the probe and have never had a problem with it -- few bucks cheaper than the ZooMed 500R which has the probe but a few more than the 500 which does not have the probe. I use this on a heating element and have lights on a timer. I feel that it is really worth the few dollars I spent on it.

Mine allows the turn off temp to be set anywhere from 60F to 105F.

Mark

13. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

thanks lol,he`s a funky monkey

14. Merlin

Mark that is a bit confusing. If I remember the 500 is a rheostat not a thermostat like the 500R.

15. Mark

Mark Elite Member

When posting this I was referencing prices at lllreptile.com > Thermometers and Thermostats

Summary from the site:
    ZooMed ReptiTemp 500 -- $14 -- is a direct contact thermostat with a range from 70 to 110 F

ZooMed ReptiTemp 500 R -- $32 -- thermostat with probe "adjusts to exact temperature you set it to"

Alife -- $27 -- Alife reptile electronic thermostat with probe, 1000 W

Merlin, you may be fully correct as I am only looking at one source. ZooMed may also have renamed some products as new ones come out. There may also be a 500R that is a rheostat somewhere in the ZooMed line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.