This Disappears When Logged In

Is He Stressed Or In Burmation?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Terrence the skink, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Hi I just got a 2 month old bearded dragon a few days ago. The first day he was fine and he ate his main insect of mealworms (ik not the best insect but there wasn't anything else he could eat for his size at my local shop. I'm getting new feeders.) and some salad consisting of kale and carrots. For the past two days however he has lost his appetite only eating 5 mealworms and no salad. He has also been sleeping for long periods of time during the day. I've checked many sites and forums but my diy vet check up has diagnosed him with *drumroll* nothing. I can only put this down to either a late March burmation or stress from being in a new terrarium his warm side is 105 fernhieght and his cool side is room temperature (ik know it's low but I'm working on it.) Could the cool side being too low cause a late burmation, is that even possible at his age or is he just stressed? Everything is in check in terms of lighting and safe/clean water and food. Pls help idk if this is something to be worried about or if I'm just a paranoid idiot. Thx in advance.

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Oh yeah his food is dusted with calcium powder.

4. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Established Member

By "in check" what exactly. Can you tell us specifics. Enclosure size. How the Temps are measured. Uvb light type. It very well could be and sounds like relocation stress. Also what is the nighttime setup? As far as Temps and things. Andwhat is room temperature in your house . Different houses rooms are all over the temperature range so we can't tell from that. There's great people here that will always help.

5. My house temp is 72. uvb is a florescent 5.0 uvb. during the night I turn on an infrared heat lamp to keep his enclosure above 70. He is in a 32 by 16 by 14 terrarium he's being upgraded to a 4 foot by 2 foot by 20 inch terrarium out of plywood once he's big enough I already have the plywood and coating needed it's just a project postponed for now untill I get him situated in his tank.

6. bluboy05

bluboy05 Active Member

The uvb needs to be 10.0 desert version i use 12.0 Arcadia florescent, and at night a ceramic heat bulb because your dragon can still see infrared light that will keep him awake

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Also, use a timer to make sure it is getting a consistent day night cycle. Other than that it just sounds like normal acclimation issues.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, if the ambient (air) temp on the "warm side" is 105f it`s too high, how are you taking the measurement, and what`s the basking surface temp and how are you measuring that, plus what`s the humidity range and again, how are you measuring it? The dragon has already outgrown the enclosure...

9. Update: I just fed him carrot gut loaded crickets and he loved them I offered 4 and he ate all of them. To measure his humidity and temperature I use these gauges that has a thermometer side and a humidity side. He has since been up graded to a 10 uvb light that spans the width of his terrarium. Humidity is 48 and temp is 96 on his basking rock. I stopped using an infrared light because it kept him up and the night time temperature was good anyway

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details, you need to say whether the gauge is analogue or digital? You cannot measure the surface temp of the basking object unless you use an IR Temp-gun, so how did you get the 96f?
    If the dragon has a few dark hides to retreat to there is no reason an infrared bulb would disturb it during rest periods.
    Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure including a pic of the gauge?
    Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you said the UVB tube spans the whole length of the enclosure, it only needs to be around 2/3rds the length....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The surface temp of the stone could be 30+ degrees higher than the air temp, you urgently need an IR Temp-gun to take an accurate measurement. Can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure?

13. Sorry I'm new to this forum
    how do u post pics?

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

At the bottom of the messages it says "upload a file", I just go to my album and click on the photos I want to show.

15. 1490142972631565086683.jpg

Attached Files:

16. He's sleeping so I turned his lights off and took them off his bedtimes 8

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos. I`m guessing the fishtank has a screen top, am I right? The analogue gauges can be very inaccurate (as much as 15%+ out) which means you/we have no idea what the temps or humidity range are, as already mentioned you cannot take a basking surface temp accurately without an IR Temp-gun, you also need a digital hygrometer (both are urgent)..
    I`ll put a link up for you to show what you need...

Digital Thermometer & Hygrometer Combined Gauge with remote probes Max/Min | eBay

Handheld Digital LCD Temperature Thermometer Laser Non-Contact Infrared Temp Gun | eBay

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017