This Disappears When Logged In

Is He Ok?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Dec 31, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

This is an update from my previous thread, I guess.

For the past 3-4 weeks, Moses has been being very inactive. He's been hiding in his hide, doing nothing else. He's usually very active, coming out at 11:00 on the dot to be held. Not only that, but he hasn't been eating. The first time I offered him food, he struck, missed, and acted terrified and hid again. The second time he didn't care at all (though that may have been my fault - I had to offer a different species of rat because our usual reptile store was closed).

Today I changed his water and decided to check on him. I took him out of his hide and I first noticed that his eyes seemed... dull? Pale? Not as much when he's in blue. I thought they might have been retained eye caps so I gave him a soak for about 5 minutes (he then escape from the tub so I just put the humidifier in my room). While I was holding him then I noticed he was making a whistling sound every 15 seconds or so. Then I was worried. I put him back in his enclosure and left the humidifier on.

Respiratory infection? Shedding? Nothing about his setup has changed except a different climbing branch.

2. KelloggCornsnakes

I should probably elaborate - he was making the whistling sound even before I put him in the water, so it couldn't have just been a little water in his pits.

3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on snake diseases, but when a python isn't feeling well it is wise to offer both a moist place to hide and a dry place. Up the heat so that it can soak, avoid handling or stressing as much as possible, make sure that it feels secure and that it can choose the temperature and humidity it prefers.
    Snakes during the winter, even tropical snakes, may be more inactive and so this may be one cause of his behavior. However, the whistling is a worry. Some snakes can fight of infection by themselves if offered extra heat, almost like letting them get a fever to fight it off.

I hope he feels better soon!

MountainDragon likes this.
  4. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

His eyes could be dull due to shed. If he's shedding he'll be inactive. Can you send some pictures of him?

5. KelloggCornsnakes

@Buggy0123 - I got some pictures of his eyes when he was switching hides, if that helps c: It's hardly noticeable in pictures though. Easier to see in person.
    Picture links deleted due to language

It was weird though- right when I opened his enclosure he just immediately tried to get out - which he did (it's not very hard for him to escape once I have the door open since he's so huge). He's still trying to get our right now, actually. Weird behavior after hiding nonstop for 3 weeks.

Edit: After about 10 minutes he did stop to hide in his warm hide again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  6. KelloggCornsnakes

@GitaBooks - Thanks! I'll raise the temperature a few degrees and will put a damp paper towel in one of his hides.

7. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

The wheezing could be a sign of a respiratory infection, I would take him to a vet if it is at all possible. It is better to be safe then sorry.

8. KelloggCornsnakes

I raised his temperature and humidity, and if it seems to get worse we'll definitely take him to a vet!

Kolby Tannehill likes this.
  9. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear that.

10. GitaBooks

I hope he gets better soon.

I agree, vets are certainly the best option when a pet doesn't look or act right.

11. KelloggCornsnakes

Took him out yesterday to disinfect everything in his enclosure, and I didn't hear any whistling. Tried to weigh him to see if he was losing any weight but he would NOT. STOP. MOVING. GAH. I'm going to try to feed him next Tuesday. If he doesn't eat I'll definitely consider a vet.

12. KelloggCornsnakes

Another update: I offered him food last week. He didn't take it at first, and still seemed only interested in me instead of the food. I left it in his enclosure overnight, and he did eat. Since then he's been much more active - he was exploring last night and has been switching hides more often ^^

13. GitaBooks

Glad to hear it. : )