This Disappears When Logged In

Is Acquiring a Snake Practical for Me?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by LikeSnowLikeGold, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Also... No animal just "goes crazy." Everything an animal does is for a reason...

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Just checking with the snake. I don't condone as I'm sure you are too people that will get an animal and not want it after a few months. Just making sure. I am also a volunteer / foster for a reptile rescue. The condition I have seen some of these animals come in to us is scary. It's also very sad.

Animals can snap. I think I used the wrong analogy with 'crazy'. They are not humans. Especially snakes who only eat poop mate repeat almost. I know too many who have been hurt or injured. I used to have a dog who was raised as a puppy by us. She bit my husband and my aunt. No reason that I can think of at all.

3. I know where you are coming from. Sorry, I think I just got a little defensive and angry. I apologize. I can see you are just looking out for the well being of the animals. :)

I know that it usually seems to us like the animals have no reason for biting or other actions, but they always have a reason. Animals aren't hardwired like we are to do something just because. They're just not, genetically/scientifically speaking. It may not seem like a big deal to us or like a "good" reason, but it's a reason to them. Know what I mean? For instance, if a parrot sees what they perceive as a threat to their mate in the wild, they will bite their mate so that the mate will fly away. Parrots in captivity, then, will bite their chosen person (for what we perceive as no reason) because they see apparent danger. It's quite interesting, really.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The important thing is you are doing your research, that is the most important part of pet ownership.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And we are glad you are doing the research first.
    One thing about this site is we call it like we see it. You asked legitimate questions and you got honest responses.

6. KingCorn

KingCorn Member

I'm kinda new too they've helped me a lot I've got a Corn snake and there had been some questions that you have asked I didn't think about or didn't think it would matter. But I'm sure everyone here can agree on this at least your asking before just getting one then realize its not what you want

7. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

just like you my wife and i are animal lovers. most are rescued animals. both my dogs, 2 of my 3 cats, my Hahns macaw, 2 of my 3 snakes, and my yellow river cooter turtle are all rescues. my ball python and Honduran milksnake are both rescues. be absolutely sure a snake is something you really want before you get it. but i will warn you if you do end up getting a snake, they are like pitbulls and potato chips. you cant have just one. you will end up like the rest of us here. ADDICTED

8. seraphim29

seraphim29 Member

i recently got a corn snake well a few months ago if you can call that recent lol. i also have a cat and 2 young children. he is the sweetest guy in the world. my mother owned a pet store and i've been around a lot of snakes. for a beginner corn snakes are pretty easy to maintain and are very easy to tame mine within a week of holding him and getting him used to me will sit with me for hours while i watch tv. they are great pets as long as you treat them well and hold them often they will be a good friend to have :).
    many of my friends took their snakes out with them for walks and to the park. we always had a carrier for them that they were used to so they wouldn't get stressed. i carried my friends python on my neck but never let him wrap i would hold his head and tail though he was big and i had to due to me being so tiny lol. as long as he doesn't wrap around fully it should be fine just always be cautious. if you want to let them roam i would do it in a small area like a circle in the center of the room where you can block it off and sit with him since they are very quick and can fit newhere they want to lol.
    i prefer to rescue any pet if i can since so many get abused and abandoned. many people get a snake then when it gets to big they let it loose or give it away because they don't want to take care of them anymore. so make sure you know how big they will get and are comfortable with the size. corn snakes get to about 5ft so they are pretty easy to house and hold. the only time i would not bother them is after they eat or when they are shedding. mine is shedding again and is not happy with me for just taking his picture lol. also if you can get them to eat frozen like mine does it will save you money. once mine gets bigger i plan to give him live ones but at his size the frozen pinkies work great.
    sorry this was so long and hope this helps. in the end it's up to you and i'm sure if you are like the rest of us you will love having one :)

9. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Ummm, Seraphim...just a question- if you already have him eating frozen thawed, why on earth would you go backwards and start feeding live when there is such a vast potential for your snake to get injured? Bites from rodents can be lethal to snakes.

10. David McConley

Original poster...good on you for doing copious amounts of research before getting a snake and possibly making a mistake the animal would eventually pay for.

11. seraphim29

seraphim29 Member

because he is starting to not take them unless i move them around and i don't want him to get to where he won't take them anymore he is already getting very picky about them not moving and last feeding i had to wave it in his face for about 5 minutes and make it move before he would eat it. i just don't want him to not eat if he is wanting to hunt and not eat frozen. i've never had an issue with the boas getting injured during feeding and i want him to feel as comfortable and happy as i he can in a cage. hence why i won't declaw my cat i'm already taking his man hood i don't want him to lose the rest of what makes him a cat. and it all depends if he starts eating the frozen better then i will probably stay with it but if i have to many issues i will probably start live ones.

12. David McConley

How often do you feed your corn snake? It may just be full and needing some enticement to eat again. Most corns are fairly hearty eaters and are not picky about the food they take in. It really isn't any of my business, but I just think if you already have him eating frozen thawed, don't back up and feed live. If you have not alreeady seen pictures of rodent attacks on snakes, Google it. The images would be enough to keep me on F/T. Of course it is your call since they are your snakes, but I just think I would rather not take the chance. I am not here to be judgmental, just trying to save you some possible snake injuries in the future. Good luck with them.

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Is your cornsnake 100% a male? It's breeding season right now, I have one male off food right now, and the other one was a bit hesitant to eat last night. Try to offer him a f/t mouse every 14 days, if he doesn't eat it then refreeze(I refreeze once) and then thaw it in 2 weeks. If he doesn't eat just keep on repeating. One of my males last year ate once a month for three months, he only had one thing on his mind. As long as he isn't losing any weight he will be fine. They are made to survive long periods of time without eating.

To be on the safe side I would also get a fecal checked, not wanting to eat is another sign of parasites.

14. KingCorn

KingCorn Member

I AGREE with jdandlucy and my wife hates it lol